Need Help With Tranny Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BJHEN

Last seen
I just talked with service rep at Ford dealer where I left my car yesterday. '05 with 27k miles and still under Ford Certified 3 months/3000 mile warranty.

Problem: several times after car has sat all night when started and backed up for a short distance, out of driveway into street, when I shift from R to D5 there is a lag. I feel trans. change from R to D and engage but when I apply gas car does not move immediately. The engine revs and in a few seconds the trans will catch and car moves. The best I can describe it, it's like a slipping clutch. This does not happen every time, but it has happened enough that I feel something is wrong.

Service rep told me that they can not duplicate problem and that all test and readings on trans. are normal. They want to give the car back to me as is. I told her no, it is not normal and I want the problem found and fix before it goes out of warranty.

Has anyone had or know about this type of problem? Any suggestions on how to get dealer to proceed with actually finding the problem.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cliff

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My pickup (ford) does the same thing. I know the transmissions are different in a 99 truck, but the description is identical. An auto trans additive stopped the problem for a month or so, but it returned. My shop says wear from towing, maybe so.
Here is the thing I think may go to your advantage. By taking the car in with this complaint, you have documented that the problem existed prior to warranty expiration. I suggest continue taking it in once in a while about this and save work write-ups in case shop conveniently forgets about it.

Cliff:
As a suggestion, have them check all SSM's, Special Service Memo's, and/or TSB's Tech Service Bulletin's. This can be done on the Ford OASIS system at any Ford or Lincoln dealerships service center.
Secondly, since there are more Lincoln LS's out there with this transmission in them, try a Lincoln dealer.
If nothing else you'll have a written service order from two different dealerships, just in case it's not resolved before the warranty goes out.

BTW, if it's "Ford Certified", would you consider an extended warranty? Would they sell you one? If not there are those that will.

Cliff:
As a suggestion, have them check all SSM's, Special Service Memo's, and/or TSB's Tech Service Bulletin's. This can be done on the Ford OASIS system at any Ford or Lincoln dealerships service center.
Secondly, since there are more Lincoln LS's out there with this transmission in them, try a Lincoln dealer.
If nothing else you'll have a written service order from two different dealerships, just in case it's not resolved before the warranty goes out.

BTW, if it's "Ford Certified", would you consider an extended warranty? Would they sell you one? If not there are those that will.

THANKS GEORGE.

Good info about trying a Lincoln dealer and also requesting them to look at SSM's and TSB's.

Yes, car is currently under Ford Certified warranty, which is 3000 miles/3months. I would not purchase car until they certified it so I could then purchase the extended warranty, which is 7 yrs./75K miles. Ford will not sell an extended warranty unless car is still in original warranty or they certify it.

So, I am covered for future tranny problems but I would like to resolve any potential problems now.

Thanks again for input.

Cliff

Cliff:
My pleasure to help..
BTW, back when I was shopping, there was a Ford dealer in CT that sold extended warranties at a great price. Most dealers wouldn't do it for their same offered price.
I had a price from my dealer and after I priced the same warranty out with that CT dealer, I took the quote back to my Ford dealer in MA and they conceded to give me the same deal. So these are negotiable:cool:

Cliff, I went back and looked for you. I was quoted $2300 and when I balked they settled at $1845 as their "rock bottom" price for Premium care w/$50.00 deductible.
The CT Ford dealer was Lombard Ford and they quoted $1375 for that same plan. When I talked to my dealer, he said he would only make $65. but he agreed to do the deal for the $1375. So, they do have some flexibility. It depends upon the dealer.
PS, I don't believe they do the $50 deductible any more. They're all $100.
Their site is fordwarrantys ******* and you can still get a quote online for your 2005

Last edited:
George,

When I purchased my '05 in Apr. it was just out of original warranty by 2 months w/26k miles. I told dealer I would not buy without a warranty. Dealer told me Ford would not sell an extended warranty if original warranty was expired, but would sell one if car was Ford Certified. Dealer certified car at no cost to me, my purchase price was agreed on before we talked about him certifying car. Actually, car's tires were only thing that would not pass Ford's 169 point certification so dealer installed a new set of 235/55 17" tires at no cost to me. Note: I don't believe for a minute that dealer lost money on the deal, but I did get a price below many others I've seen.

I purchased Ford's Premium Extended Warranty with coverage for 7 yrs from original date of service or 75k miles, which gives me until 2012 and 50k more miles of full warranty protection, and with a $50 deductible. I negotiated price to $1595 from original quote of $2400.

I extend this detailed info in hopes it may help someother T-Bird buyer or owner.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, good info

GMPP warranties, as a comparison

Thanks Cliff, good info

As a comparison, if you do a search on the Vette and Caddy forums, you will locate at least 3 GM dealers who sell the real GMPP (Gen Motors Protection Plan) extended warranties at about 40% off what most GM dealers price them. If I am not mistaken, one is in Ebensburg, Pa. (Smith Chevy, Caddy, etc).

I bought mine there for $830, no deduct. 39 months, 40k extra miles as I recall. My Caddy was under 24k and within GM's orig warr period.

There is a TSB on the tranny, related to the "Dreaded E" for the gear indicator, i saw this intermittently, but when I finally got the "E" they replaced the valve body, and all was well.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back