Need correct 2002 tied rod ends

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just ordered Motorcraft outers and Moog inners from RockAuto.
I will report back once I get them in.
Just to let y'all know, I was changing the oil this morning and did a quick check, both wheels wiggled back and forth a lot and discovered the play in the outers. The boots had deteriorated.
76,000 miles on it, we bought it with 61,000 just about 3 years ago. I've only done oil changes, never even had the wheels off or checked anything till today! I guess while it's on jackstands I will check it out closely.
Thanks

I got the decent ones from rock auto and they were wrong with a pyramid section on the area round the bolt, these would not fit and kept unscrewing themselves. I ended up finding that oreillys basic value ones are correct so used those and now its fine. Apparently at sometime there was a recall to correct something on them and this is what put the pyramid bit on them but they will not work on a 2002 I found that out, ended up being extremely dangerous to drive.

Well, I put in the tie rod ends last weekend without any trouble. The Motorcraft ends from Rock Auto worked perfectly. I have attached pics of what the old ones looked like alongside the new ones. Also attached are pics of the steering arm.
I suspect the problem with some may be that they do not have enough thread protruding through the steering arm end which prevents tightening the nut properly. The Motorcraft ends have less thread than the originals, but more than enough.
You can also see where the cone sits in the steering rod end. The cone diameter is the same on both.
The upper ball joint and anti sway bar boots have deteriorated, so I will be replacing those soon.

That iIMG_20191214_071329 (Large).jpgIMG_20191214_071832 (Large).jpgIMG_20191214_071850 (Large).jpgs all for now.
Thanks

Back