NAIAS show - Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thenewtbird2

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Though the general public can't get in yet,
you can see what's going on via the NAIDA website and if you're into collecting "stuff" about this bird, then download your copy of their January newsletter "showtalk 2002" http://www.naias.com/main.asp?visitorType=1

link for newsletter is in their left hand column. Has an article on the Thunderbird custom - and an article on the finalists for the NAC&T awards. Of course we know the winner now but the 'bird is mentioned.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Anyone coming into Chicago for the show there? Let me know and I'll see about getting extra media credentials, so you can attend the media preview on the 6th and 7th of February.

------------------

Was just watching MSNBC and their report on the NAIAS show in Detroit-Ford will be announcing they will be cutting 20,000 jobs, 8,000 of which will be white collar-closing two plants-one produces the Taurus, and one produces the F-150, and that production will be slowing somewhat-I hope this doesn't affect those of you still waiting for your Birds!
They also showed GM's new two seat concept, the Pontiac Solaris-if GM markets this car, they intend on selling it at the 25-30K range.

------------------

I agree that the Bel Air looks good....but what is it supposed to look like???
It is not retro at all...it has no heritage, from what I can see.

GM is so darn clueless. here they have a strong heritage (the 55,56,57 Chevy Bel Airs} to play off of and they blow it again.
That's why they have the most boring cars in the world.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue/premium on order: 10 of 18

The 55 Chevy Belair was my first car. Probably the best made chevy of the century. The concepts have all either gone to the toy Tonka look or the 50's look-but chopped and channeled.
My stepson just bought a PT Cruiser and though small and a bit uncomfortable, lots of vehicle for the money.
If FORD's J Mays has his way with design at Ford the style cues he lent the Beetle and Bird will be better than the futuristic battle robot or cookie cutter chop and channel.

Jay's recent TV appearance on Speedvision at the Concourse D' Italiano, which highlighted the most beautiful designed Ferraris' and the Pinan Farina design studios, he spoke of the simple-minimalism in the Ferrari line from the 50's to the present concepts. If FORD lets Jay continue his magic we will see more beautiful designs.
I like what GM is doing. They are pushing the envelope and have had more success and are building better normally aspirated engines with more mpg than Ford's lineup.
They are stupid for shuting down Oldsmobile, the Alero is a great introductory car and the Aurora is the only American made car that comes close to the Lexus with the best engine on the planet!
The Aurora V8 4L was the first passenger car engine that transfered to race cars. Normally they go from race cars to the passenger cars!

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

I have to agree with the comment "Where's the heritage?" on the Bel Air. Something just isn't there. It has the proportions from the truly beautiful '55 Bel Air, but the grille from the '01 Impala, and lights from - what? - the '01 Malibu? Ford did a lot better job with the '49.

tr cruiser, yes I think the 49er looks great, would look nice setting in my garage next to my bird but I'd need a fourth bay and would get shot by my wife.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

Tr Cruiser...what is not to get with the SSR?It is a retros pickup truck...built on the TrailBlazer platform.A hardtop convertable(powered and retracts into the bed)And built purely for performance.It harkens back to the pickups of the fifties but a much lower and wider stance.An awesome design with a HUGE following and just about every Chevy truck dealer is backed up with a line waiting to get one of only 12,000 to be produced annually...and you think you T-Bird owners had it bad to waite for your machines.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

Gobird, not worth taking a chance on getting shot. She might miss and hit the car.
tongue.gif

Inferno, after reading your spirited defense of the SSR I promise to lay off further criticism. It's good to feel passionate about your car, even if it's just another M3.

Tr Cruiser...whats with the M3 jibe?
smile.gif
I don't own one or plan to.Just pointing out there is more than enough room on the road for more than one "heratige" vehicle...and you gotta give Chevy credit...they are tackling the subject from the truck end of the spectrum as opposed to the car side which now has 5 "heratige" vehicles (6 if you go with the hardcore crowd that includes the Viper as a tribute to the 427 Shelby Cobra)on the market.
smile.gif
I didn't mean to come on like somekind of crazed nut...sorry.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

IR, the M3 jibe was intended for a certain other party who shall remain nameless [but whose initials are Gary Whitaker]. You've got to be fast and duck to avoid collateral damage.
smile.gif

Thanks newbird, very interesting. I am convinced if you put women in a room with these main choices there would be no question which car they would pick. Women are as excited about this car as men seem to be. It seems women have a holy reverence(would not dream of sitting in or touching the car) , as opposed to a guy will get in readjust the seat, mirror,and touch all the surfaces. (when you ask if they want to see the car.) I must admit I do alittle bit of both of the above.

Yellowwing,
My friends are waiting for their rides when our car comes in - I suspect I'll have a couple of my quilting evenings spent driving them around a few blocks with the top down.
And they've never asked to do that with my 57 - too much in awe of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back