License Holders/Safety Tags on the visors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a license holder for the front and a customized one for the rear? Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to disguise the safety tags on the two visors?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

TEE BYRD

Since you live in Alabama and don't have to have the front tag bracket I and many others on this site would recommend you not put one on. Unless of course your dealer has already mounted the one that comes with the car.
The hideous safety labels on the visors will come off with much cussin' and effort. I have removed mine and helped joelja remove his. If you are going to do the Destin trip and can wait I will show you how to get them off. It also looks like a group of us will be going down to Destin in July in conjunction with the "Destination" event so if you want to meet up then just say the word.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

TbirdMarty, are you going to tell us your secret about removing the safety labels? I started to attempt removal but stopped because I want to be sure not to screw it up. So what's your secret trick?

TEE BYRD, I am looking for a good rear license plate frame also. I found one on the web at http://autoattire.com/lib/licenseplateframes/LFBIRDEC. It looks nice. The price is $37.95 (including a $5 markup for Tbird frames). I don't know anything about this company, so this is not a recommendation. If someone has a "cannot miss" recommendation for a rear license frame, that would be a help. I'm going to stick with the dealer-provided plastic front frame.

To get those butt ugly labels off the visor you will need a hair dryer and some rubbing alchol and a fairly sharp knife. You use the hair dryer to heat up the labels and visor and therefore the adhesive holding the labels on. Be careful not to use too much heat for a prolonged period of time or you will permanately warp the vinyl of the visor. Then start at one corner with your knife (carefully so as not to cut the visor) and start peeling the label. Also I used the alchol with a cue tip to apply at the edges of the label. Once you get the label started keep applying the alchol to the back of the label where it meets the visor.
This is not an easy job and if you don't have the patience for it I would recomend you get help from someone who has done it before. I was going to suggest that our Atlanta Thunderbird group have as one of it's outings a Tech Session where we could do things like remove these labels and install the chrome bezels and other things like how to Zaino or Klasse you car.
On my car I was able to get the passenger side label off in almost one piece but the drivers side came off in about a thousand pieces. On Joel's car it was right the reverse. Also we tried using the 303 protectant instead of alcohol but it didn't work better than the alcohol. If someone out there has found a better adhesive releaser than alcohol then please let us know.
Remember; patience and not too much heat or you will be buying a replacement visor. And the replacement visors come with these butt ugly labels also. Good luck.

------------------

TbirdMarty, thanks for the info. And for the rather amusing description.

Tee Byrd, I assume you ordered the chrome version and not the gold one in the picture. Could you please let us know how the license frame works out. I guess I wait for your report before taking the plunge. Good luck!

Thanks,
Tom

Originally posted by TbirdMarty:
TEE BYRD

Since you live in Alabama and don't have to have the front tag bracket I and many others on this site would recommend you not put one on. Unless of course your dealer has already mounted the one that comes with the car.
The hideous safety labels on the visors will come off with much cussin' and effort. I have removed mine and helped joelja remove his. If you are going to do the Destin trip and can wait I will show you how to get them off. It also looks like a group of us will be going down to Destin in July in conjunction with the "Destination" event so if you want to meet up then just say the word.

I checked my car and there isn't a front license plate holder. Should I have gotten one?

TEE BYRD

It's a matter of personal taste. But just about everyone here agrees that the front plate detracts from the beauty of the front of the car. If you want one, go for it, if not, why mess with perfection?

------------------

Originally posted by thaser:
TbirdMarty, thanks for the info. And for the rather amusing description.

Tee Byrd, I assume you ordered the chrome version and not the gold one in the picture. Could you please let us know how the license frame works out. I guess I wait for your report before taking the plunge. Good luck!

Thanks,
Tom
Tom: Will let you know as soon as it comes in. I am also thinking about getting some locking nuts to insure that my personal license plate (TEE BYRD) is not stolen.

I did manage to get my labels off after hours of hard, hot, picking. I checked about getting replacement labels and they don't make them. The visors are $125.00 each. You could probably get some black vinyl and cut out a segment and use two-way tape if you just want to disguise them. I thought about using doing this afterward, but you could also monogram the logo on them if you wanted to make the fix blend in better.

RetroT;

Were you able to get the labels off without damaging the visors or warping the vinyl?

------------------

TEE BYRD / thaser,

I don't have you listed in the database, please see my thread "Database Info for the New Birds - post here Update 1", thanks.

RTBRD

02BIRDMAN (JEFF POOLE):
IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PERHAPS WITH YOUR CREATIVITY REGARDING ACCESSORIES FOR OUR NEW T'BIRDS, YOU CAN INVESTIGATE A VINYL DECAL THAT WILL MATCH EXACTLY THE VISOR SAFETY LABELS THAT CAN BE PLACED ON TOP OF THE EXISTING ONES. PERHAPS THE THUNDERBIRD SCRIPT AND/OR THE BIRD EMBLEM WOULD BE ATTRACTIVE. ALSO, YOU HAVE RECEIVED SUCH A POSITIVE FEED-BACK REGARDING YOUR TRUNK STORAGE BAGS, PERHAPS YOU CAN INVESTIGATE LICENSE PLATE FRAMES. I TOLD YOU BEFORE, IT'S TIME TO LEAVE THE CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS!
REGARDS

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

Ken, I painted my front license plate bracket and it looks great. I can't bring myself to drill holes and mount it on the bumper yet. I like the idea of mounting decals on the visor, I thought about removing my tags this weekend but thought it might take value away, so I didn't. I will investigate some options. Our family has quite a collection of cars, I will look at all the foreign ones today and see what they did with the front plate and come up with something. Do you think a chrome frame held on with velco would fit the bill, kinda like dealer tag holders only with softer materials so not to scratch the bumper?

JEFF:
In New York we have to have the plate on the front and back of the vehicles.
Unfortunately, the front bracket is mounted by the dealer whenb the auto is prepped. I am most interested in a nice, quality T'Bird
frame for front and back. Any way that you devise for a frame will be acceptable. As far as the visor warning labels, I'm sure that you will create something that exudes class.

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

Has anyone tried good old reliable WD40 to release the adhesive on those butt-ugly visor labels? I've used it on everything but the kitchen sink over the years, but haven't worked up the courage to try it on JWBIRD. I don't know if it will damage the vinyl.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back