K & N Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who were like me and not sure, the Bird uses the same air filter as the LS 3.9, cofimrmed by checking part number on air filter in my car.

The K & N filter for the LS 3.9 is 33-2148 and this appears to be the lowest price that I could find:
-

I purchased mine locally for $36 plus tax
Dennis Crago

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Haven't installed it yet, will have it on Wed. However, I installed one on my previously owned XR2 Turbo and my Dakota and did notice a difference in acceleration.

the k&n filter does seem to change the sound and feel at about 2500 rpm and up. the engine just seems to accelerate faster in the midrange/top end. be sure and take the filter box out of the car to install the filter so a good seal is assured. i was impressed with the cold air ducting of the t-bird, two ducts of generous size and leading directly to outside air. no need to butcher the air box to get that "power roar" at wide open throttle. get one, you'll like it. rp

thanks LA-Tbird, looking forward to the exhilarating addition.

auto.gif

Dennis Crago

-

Installed the K & N Filter. It fits perfectly. Had to remove the air mass flow valve from the air box top to put it back on correctly. Could not get enough slant to hook the front stationary clips. Otherwise all went well. Didn't have an opportunity to drive the car very far, however, I did notice that you could hear louder air suction when getting on it. Certainly I expected that as in all other instances that I installed K & N you were aware that more air was getting to the engine, as you can hear it.

I'm headed up to the International T-Bird convention, so I'll see how the milage goes. I was getting 25 with the top down and 23 with it up running around 70 miles an hour with about 1500 to 2000 miles on the engine. I have 2600 now so will see how it goes.

;) :d :d :d

20+ mpg is awsome! I've had mine for 2200 miles now and can't get better than 20 mpg when combining city and highway driving. Just curious, is there any evidence of the K&N filter being installed. I am not really familiar with the product, seems everything I have ever seen it installed on changes the look under the hood.

Thanks!

Flair

------------------
Todd Sheffer
65 Rangoon Red Convertible
02 Yellow - 7683

I've ordered a K & N Air Filter. I can't wait to install it. On a recent trip from New York to Indiana via I-80 (through Pennsylvania and Ohio), I was able to get 26+ Miles per Gallon on my Yellow Premium. Totalled 1623 Miles in four (4) days. There were hours when I averaged 80+ Miles per Hour, also. Seats were great....MPG greater!!! Very quiet at those speeds with the top up. Moving too fast for Top Down and too many noisy tractor trailers.

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

flairbird asked "Just curious, is there any evidence of the K&N filter being installed. I am not really familiar with the product, seems everything I have ever seen it installed on changes the look under the hood."
There isn't any visual signs of the K & N being installed. They do provide stickers to put on the outside of the airbox that identifies it as a K & N and warns the service tech NOT to change the filter. (You wouldn't want your $40 filter replaced with an OEM one). I don't drive the car hard, so I am not sure of the difference.

thanks for the answer greyfox....I am not opposed to modifying my car for performance, I just don't like it to be obivous. The K&N sounds like the trick. Also consindering the mandrel bent stainless exhaust mentioned on other threads here.

Flair

------------------
Todd Sheffer
65 Rangoon Red Convertible
02 Yellow - 7683

For those who were like me and not sure, the Bird uses the same air filter as the LS 3.9, cofimrmed by checking part number on air filter in my car.

The K & N filter for the LS 3.9 is 33-2148 and this appears to be the lowest price that I could find:
-

I purchased mine locally for $36 plus tax
Dennis Crago

-

You need to try out K&N's Cold Air Intake Kit. It's more money but, to me, it was worth it. More air is more power that you can feel and hear. My only issue is when you accelerate one sound is like a vacuum leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back