Just up and quit!

Tboy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had the strangest thing happen. Took 2004 in yesterday, Installed new upper control arms and had it aligned. The car stopped running on the test drive. It would crank then go dead. Would not stay cranked.It is at the Ford dealership now. They said it cranked for them but was running rough. Prior to this a.m. the engine ran perfectly. Any Ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well here it is. Picked up the car this morning from the Ford dealer, runs great, just like brand new. Here was the problem. Bug in MAF sensor. Cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor. Mechanic said it was basically a result of improper air filter installation. How does that happen? Might be all the more reason to change over to the K&N system... They charged me $100, for the diagnostics. Sweetest $100 I ever spent.

That’s a real bugger.
I have been putting moth balls in a sock under hood it’s a great help keeping bugs and especially squirrels from eating wires, squirrels are a real problem in our area.
Thanks for the update. Peter

I had the strangest thing happen. Took 2004 in yesterday, Installed new upper control arms and had it aligned. The car stopped running on the test drive. It would crank then go dead. Would not stay cranked.It is at the Ford dealership now. They said it cranked for them but was running rough. Prior to this a.m. the engine ran perfectly. Any Ideas?
Check all fuel pump fuses, fuel pressure at fuel rail. Pull fuel filter and replace. Check fuel reset switch on drivers lower side panel. Lastly check archives that I put out for fuel pump replacement. Check back with me on your progress. Phil.

Check all fuel pump fuses, fuel pressure at fuel rail. Pull fuel filter and replace. Check fuel reset switch on drivers lower side panel. Lastly check archives that I put out for fuel pump replacement. Check back with me on your progress. Phil.
Just saw you got it fixed. Easy way to clean maf is with carburetor cleaner. Just liberally spray and go. Only a buck ir two for a can. Everytime you change air filter spray your maf. Nice to hear the good news you are fixed. Phil

Last edited:
Well here it is. Picked up the car this morning from the Ford dealer, runs great, just like brand new. Here was the problem. Bug in MAF sensor. Cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor. Mechanic said it was basically a result of improper air filter installation. How does that happen? Might be all the more reason to change over to the K&N system... They charged me $100, for the diagnostics. Sweetest $100 I ever spent.
I have the K&N system on my car but just to warn you it does not pass smog test with this set-up--So don't throw away anything of your old airbox. I change my K&N back to the original airbox every time I need an inspection. Also, with the K&N system, you still need the MAF. The MAF sits directly behind the K&N system.

I have the K&N system on my car but just to warn you it does not pass smog test with this set-up--So don't throw away anything of your old airbox. I change my K&N back to the original airbox every time I need an inspection. Also, with the K&N system, you still need the MAF. The MAF sits directly behind the K&N system.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. Do you like the system? Any noticeable improvement in performance?

Thanks. Will keep that in mind. Do you like the system? Any noticeable improvement in performance?
It does sound more throaty, but as for performance, I think its negligible. And since it doesn't pass emissions because the exhaust is dirtier, I would think that translates into a dirtier running engine, hence Ill be removing my K&N very soon.

Reference the Jan. 23 post, problem with mass airflow sensor 2004 TBird. After the Ford dealership cleaned the MAS I had no more problems until yesterday. The Check Engine light came back on. I thought about re-cleaning the sensor myself, but doubted that was the problem. Went on YouTube for instructions on cleaning anyway. Eventually found Ford tech demonstrating the process using a 2004 Lincoln L/S (!). Most important aspect of the video was his demo on how to check to see if the sensor itself is bad: With the engine running, disconnect the wires from the sensor and if the car stops running the sensor is good. If the car continues to run after you disconnect the wires, the sensor is bad. My car kept running after the disconnect so I ordered a new sensor. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it works...

Installed new sensor, eng. light still on. Replaced air filter, light still on. Tried a suggested method to reset eng. light. Disconnect ground cable from battery, let sit for a few minutes, then reconnect. Must have worked, engine light off. The method for testing the sensor did not work for me. I tested it with the old sensor and the new, both times engine kept running, which according to the test should signify bad sensor. Seems to be working now...

Back