just bought 1966 tbird for restore any suggestions ??? newbie

I believe that a standard distributor would have one wire coming out of the distributor and that would connect to the points, and so would reference ground when the points close.

I have a 351W and it has two wires coming out of the distributor which is because it has a Pertronix ignition module I installed to replace the points.

Good choice, I made the switch to Pertonix in 2002. Got rid of the points for good.

BTW there's a Pertronix III that emits three pulses per power stroke regardless of engine rpm. Pertronix says it puts 5x the ignition energy into firing the cylinder. Still a module that fits in the stock distributor, replacing the points. I'm going to try that on the '64 and do some before/after testing. I know it will make a big difference based on how well the Pertronix in the 351W has worked.

If you are removing engine, then replace the bushing that keeps the steering column and selector together. It would be a whole lot easier with the engine out. Good luck!! Dan (forest hill, md)

i am in the process of removing the power train got all connections to motor removed ( rad, engine bolts, wiring) but confused on how or what to remove on the tranny shifter connections ...any ideas from the pro's here .... thks

Hi there Scott, I admire your fortitude pursuing this ambitious project. I've noticed there is a manual available called the Thunderbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966 and perhaps this would be a good resource for you to have. Also, check out the ***************** website, there is a lot available there including practical tips, technical specifications, assembly manuals, and even a parts interchange catalogue which would show what parts would swap in and work on your model of car.

Please keep us posted as matters progress! Doug (Santa Cruz, CA)

check out my progress report .... will post pictures soon .... woooooow what a job ... its amazing what a bigger hammer and sawall and impact wrench can do lol kidding ....

Stop right now. Buy the shop manual and parts books and study them before going any further. It will save you time, money and frustration. Educate yourself as to what is correct for your car. Much of what is on eBay advertised as being for a particular car is not correct. Unscrupulous sellers will say "Fits (everything)". They will try to sell you wood spoke wheels claiming "Fits 66 Thunderbird". Buy a whole bunch of tags with strings and put one on every piece that you take off noting what it is and where it goes, as someone said earlier: your memory will fail you.
Take notes, take photos, get dirty and have fun.
John W. 60 HT

NOW you tell me :eek: dooooooooh,:rolleyes: i have a photographic memory, the only problem nothing ever develops lol yeah my wife got a bunch of those twist ties and tags from the store and write what it is .... some things are kinda obvious though ...like fenders and doors lol should i tag them too :p my next ( when i get some moooooooooola ) to dustless sandblasting everything .....

NOW you tell me :eek: dooooooooh,:rolleyes: i have a photographic memory, the only problem nothing ever develops lol yeah my wife got a bunch of those twist ties and tags from the store and write what it is .... some things are kinda obvious though ...like fenders and doors lol should i tag them too :p my next ( when i get some moooooooooola ) to dustless sandblasting everything .....
If you want a 1966 Thunderbird Ford Manual. I have an extra one I'll give you. Thanks Dan (Forest Hill, Md.)

Hi there Scott, I admire your fortitude pursuing this ambitious project. I've noticed there is a manual available called the Thunderbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966 and perhaps this would be a good resource for you to have. Also, check out the ***************** website, there is a lot available there including practical tips, technical specifications, assembly manuals, and even a parts interchange catalogue which would show what parts would swap in and work on your model of car.

ps ... fyi in case u didnt get the " memo" i posted pics of my disassembly progress under " 1966 tbird restore progess report ..... check it out and let me know what u think :)

that is not bad looking from the photos
along with a brake overhaul start looking at all the rubber hoses especially the power steering hoses and the wiper hoses that work off the power steering had one of those leak out when it started raining and I turned on the wipers

Do not buy restoration guide only useful information is specs and how to identify codes on plates. Good shop Manuel. And lots money and time you'll be ok

I just bought a car i always wanted and finally got a 1966 tbird with 390 ... wheeeew now the fun begins restoring ..... what a mess ....
now what any suggestions .... i was thinking pu;; power train out and already talked to guy about sandblasting frame and body as a starter

anhything in " NEED or should know before starting .... kinda like u really need to know this lol
my wife thinks im crazy why didnt i just buy one already done with no rust ...why would i put myself thru this grief lol
any suggestions

Scott
Yep get your bank book and Join a fourm only way to find the help your goong to need and welcome to the xlub

If you take the the engine out, please replace the steering/Shifter bushing from the slide away steering column. It is a whole lot easier doing it with the engine out. If your 390 is good, then while the engine is out, replace the transmission & oil pan gaskets. Also check or replace the exhaust gaskets on the notorious exhaust headers. My exhaust header is leaking right now and I'll have to raise the engine just to get around the shock towers. Have fun with your new T-Bird!! Dj-Dan (Forest Hill, Md.)

thks its a work in progress for sure ..... will post more progress pics when i got em .... just finishing up sandblasting the whole car .... YES engine bay, underside etc..... after stripping it bare of course, now if i could only remember how it all goes back together would be great lol .... so many pieces left over ...i call it upgrading it .... lol

Sounds like you are having fun. I remember my Dad telling me, "at least a two car garage is needed when restoring a car. One bay for the car and the other bay for all of the parts that came off if it. I wish I did my 64 T-Bird your way. I would of changed a whole lot of stuff. Especially the fuse box. I would put that in the engine compartment near the regulator. What a pain, to reach under the passenger side dashboard, if you ever want to upgrade. So much room in that engine area. Good luck!! Can't wait to see the pictures ...P.S. in the steering column, please replace the detent plate for the selector of Park neutral drive. Mine was flattened out from 50 some years of use. You don't want your T-Bird hopping out of gear.

Sounds like you are having fun. I remember my Dad telling me, "at least a two car garage is needed when restoring a car. One bay for the car and the other bay for all of the parts that came off if it. I wish I did my 64 T-Bird your way. I would of changed a whole lot of stuff. Especially the fuse box. I would put that in the engine compartment near the regulator. What a pain, to reach under the passenger side dashboard, if you ever want to upgrade. So much room in that engine area. Good luck!! Can't wait to see the pictures ...P.S. in the steering column, please replace the detent plate for the selector of Park neutral drive. Mine was flattened out from 50 some years of use. You don't want your T-Bird hopping out of gear.

Gosh, space is so important. If I had space I would be pulling my 390 for a rebuild. For now, I will get her running as good as I can and once I help my dad out of his jam (mom passed not too long ago, I will have my own place with my own space).

Let me also suggest you get some good wiring diagrams - if you search my threads @fordrodsteven gave me some great advice. I would go through your electrical system and look it over really well.

@Dj-Dan - I just got all the parts in, except for a few circuit breakers to rewire my fuse block. What @fordrodsteven provided is going to make this possible, but even with that, I am a little scared. It will be SO nice to actually have solid connections and block fuses though - my contacts in my box are just shot. I will post pictures of the upgrade if I can take them while doing it.

If you are removing engine, then replace the bushing that keeps the steering column and selector together. It would be a whole lot easier with the engine out. Good luck!! Dan (forest hill, md)

i keep meaning to get back to you on that ..... its wide open and easiER to fix now .... where exactly is the part your talking about again so i can replace it .... thanks

ps i keep meaning to post pics of my resto progress ...im still cutting out all the crap and rust and welding new metal ..... i have never welded before in my life and am " teaching myself how to with this " project" i should be a pro by the time im finished ( becuz there is soooooooo much wlding needed :mad::eek:

hi ...yes i will be posting new pics of my restomod ...even my wife who thinks i was crazy to take this rust bucket on ( as callED it ) is light years ahead of where i started ...i think i'll take that as a compliment ...... i im beginning to see the light at the end of the long long tunnel

Back