1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

just bought 1966 tbird for restore any suggestions ??? newbie

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Steeletbird, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 64ZCODE

64ZCODE Well-Known Member Gold Donor

I believe that a standard distributor would have one wire coming out of the distributor and that would connect to the points, and so would reference ground when the points close.

I have a 351W and it has two wires coming out of the distributor which is because it has a Pertronix ignition module I installed to replace the points.

2. Angry Bird

Angry Bird Angry Bird's 64' Lifetime Donor

Good choice, I made the switch to Pertonix in 2002. Got rid of the points for good.

3. 64ZCODE

64ZCODE Well-Known Member Gold Donor

BTW there's a Pertronix III that emits three pulses per power stroke regardless of engine rpm. Pertronix says it puts 5x the ignition energy into firing the cylinder. Still a module that fits in the stock distributor, replacing the points. I'm going to try that on the '64 and do some before/after testing. I know it will make a big difference based on how well the Pertronix in the 351W has worked.

4. i am in the process of removing the power train got all connections to motor removed ( rad, engine bolts, wiring) but confused on how or what to remove on the tranny shifter connections ...any ideas from the pro's here .... thks

5. check out my progress report .... will post pictures soon .... woooooow what a job ... its amazing what a bigger hammer and sawall and impact wrench can do lol kidding ....

6. Stop right now. Buy the shop manual and parts books and study them before going any further. It will save you time, money and frustration. Educate yourself as to what is correct for your car. Much of what is on eBay advertised as being for a particular car is not correct. Unscrupulous sellers will say "Fits (everything)". They will try to sell you wood spoke wheels claiming "Fits 66 Thunderbird". Buy a whole bunch of tags with strings and put one on every piece that you take off noting what it is and where it goes, as someone said earlier: your memory will fail you.
    Take notes, take photos, get dirty and have fun.
    John W. 60 HT

7. NOW you tell me :eek: dooooooooh,:rolleyes: i have a photographic memory, the only problem nothing ever develops lol yeah my wife got a bunch of those twist ties and tags from the store and write what it is .... some things are kinda obvious though ...like fenders and doors lol should i tag them too :p my next ( when i get some moooooooooola ) to dustless sandblasting everything .....

8. If you want a 1966 Thunderbird Ford Manual. I have an extra one I'll give you. Thanks Dan (Forest Hill, Md.)

9. ps ... fyi in case u didnt get the " memo" i posted pics of my disassembly progress under " 1966 tbird restore progess report ..... check it out and let me know what u think :)

10. that is not bad looking from the photos
    along with a brake overhaul start looking at all the rubber hoses especially the power steering hoses and the wiper hoses that work off the power steering had one of those leak out when it started raining and I turned on the wipers

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!