Is this a new addition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TbirdMarty

VIP Contributor
Last seen
When we picked up our car and the sales guy went over everything with us one of the items in the trunk along with the carrier, cover, tonneau cover, and wax was a cardboard sleeve that contained a strip of tape to help protect the rear deck area. My question is this; Is this a new addition to try to address the wear problems some of us have experienced? Or has this come with these cars from day one? I don't think I will use it as the instructions say not to exceed a 3 month period with the top on the car. The instruction also say that this tape is approved by Ford for use on painted surfaces. What do you think? Use this or push for the addition of the chrome strip?

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like a new addition, you are the first one I have heard mention it. I have also never heard of the 3 month period for the top, does that mean riding on the tape or having the top on for 3 months? That would suck if you live up north.

RTBRD;

I don't have a scaner or such but if you would like I will be glad to type out the instructions as show on the card inclosed with the material.
They are as follows:

1 Surface Preparation
.The surface of the vehicle must be
clean of all dirt and debris.
.The surface must be dry.
.The minimum temprature of the body
surface should not be lower than 65F.
.The maximum temperature of the body
surface should not exceed 90F.

2 Applying Die-Cut Material to the Vehicle
.Tape should be applied each time before
the removable top is put on the car.
.Retract convertible top - open position.
.Alcohol wipe surface with lint-free cloth
(package provided).
.Select Driver-Side Front (DSF) die-cut
piece.
.Remove backing paper.
.Starting at the rear of the door opening,
apply die-cut to quarter panel(figure A)
At rear corner curve, fold flap downward
so that it wraps around edge of sheet
metal.
.Press firmly to secure to vehicle (apply
slowly and press down as you go to avoid
wrinkles or air bubbles in film).
.Selkect Passenger-Side Front (PSF) die-
cut piece.
.Wipe surface, remove backing, and repeat
steps listed above for application to
quarter panel.
.Select Driver-Side Rear (DSR) and
Passenger-Side Rear (PSR) pieces.
.Wipe surface, remove backing, and repeat
steps listed above for application along
back surface.

3 Performance
.Application of tape should not exceed
period of 3 months or approximately
4,000 miles while top is on vehicle.
.the adhesive goes on with low initial
adhesive to allow for positioning and
ease of application. Adhesive strength
will grow after 1 hour of application
and will reach maximum bonding strength
after 24 hours.
.Once applied, tape can withstand any
weather, car wash, or wind conditions.
.This tape has been approved by Rord for
use on painted surfaces and should not
be substituted with a different material.

4 Removal
.Tape can be pulled off easily in the same
manner in which it was applied (figure B).
.Tape should be removed when removable top
is removed or every 3 months or 4,000
miles, whichever comes first.
.If adhesive residue is on the car, clean
surface with isopropal alcohol or very
light non-abrasive soap.

That is the extent of the instructions with of course some diagrams to show how to apply the tape strips. It doesn't sound like a very good fix if you have to take the tape off every time you take the top off. Or it might even be a little harmful to the paint if you can't exceed 3 months with it on the car. I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks on this subject. I won't be putting this on my Bird.

------------------

Marty,

I'm also surprised that the car didn't get shipped with the tape already installed. I assume your car came with the hardtop on it already as the rest of ours did. This is very telling that this is not a long-term solution to the problem at hand.

KB

That is definately something new. It sounds like a temporary fix to a longstanding problem. Let's hope they come up with something a litle better than an adhesive strip. See you at the Rally! Sounds like Joel is going to have his too.
biggrin.gif

We also just unpacked our trunk, and found
the same tape as TbirdMarty. I don't think
we will use tape either. We are planning
on taking top off tomorrow, and will probably
store it till next fall.

------------------
Lucille
-----------
'87 TurboCoupe
'02 Blue#114987
'96 Bronco
'98 Windstar Van
'95 Miata M Edition
'95 Miata Red/Tan

Charlie;

The "tape" as Ford calls it comes in a long cardboard sleeve. Basically two pieces of cardboard taped together with the material in flat sheets inside along with the installation instructions.

------------------

step 1 - convince Ford there is a problem.
step 2 - have Ford admit there is a problem.
step 3 - Ford solves problem.

we have succeeded thru step 2. the real step 3 can't be far behind. it would be interesting to see if someone complains about the abrasion problem now, if the dealer gives them some tape.

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

eek.gif
Boy, don't you have to wonder where Ford got the tape idea!! Maybe off of some forum they read.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

joelga;

How many days/minutes/seconds until your Bird arrives?

------------------

The Ford guy who thought of the tape must have been used to "Duct Tape:. We all know That fixes everything.

It sounds like GOBIRD is right, the 'tape ' must be clear and it souds like the 3 M stuff used on the 'invisable bra' from a previous post.
I wonder if the invisable bra needs changing afet 3 months! It seems to me it was pretty pricy from 3M precut.

If anyone puts it on please let us know.

I had a window tint place put the 3M plastic under the seal area of the hard top. The top makes more noise now than it ever did with out the tape in place. It is a bumping sound, not the groaning as before. The tape and installation cost $65 and I am beginning to wonder if it was worth it. I do hope Ford will come out with the SS trim to go under the top.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359
Tag # 15AGAIN

Yes, I put the top back on with one of them to help me. I checked that it was clamped down as soon as it started making noise. I think the plastic is slicker than the painted surface. I am going to Houston May 3rd and if it keeps the noise up, I will remove the plastic.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359
Tag # 15AGAIN

I took delivery of my new bird 2 weeks ago and I too received the tape strips with the long and scary directions. I don't think I'll be using them either. I was not aware of all the problems with the hard tops. Is permanent damage being done to the vehicles?

Cameron Lynn
'02 Whisper White on Whisper White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back