IP center stack squeak | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

IP center stack squeak

• Thread starter Thread starter Alan Goodman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Goodman

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
My 2003 has had since delivery a rather annoying squeak coming from the center instrument stack. It seems to be originating in either (i) the "rubbing" interface between the HVAC and 12V power accessory panels or (ii) the 12V panel and the instrument stack frame / structure itself. While I realize a convertible is prone to 'cowl shake', this squeak continously manifests itself even on relatively smooth pavement. While I personnaly judge it unacceptable, is this common to many / all units produced or do I have a unique fit / finish problem. I need some field data before I consider allowing my dealer to disassemble the IP stack since I am afraid it will only lead to other problems related to the reassembly. Your thoughts / feedback are appreciated.

Alan 2003 premium red / red / full red insert @ 300 miles

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had exactly this same problem. I wound up having first to lift off the the long surround trim peice that fits over the trans. This removed very easily. I then popped out the lowest panel on the stack that had the heated seat controls. This required a little more tgging but it is only held in by 4 spring clips. This lower panel was the cause of the constant squeaking you refer to. It appears that this lower panel was not properly seated into the stack. I popped it back in and also slightly re-routed the electrical
harness that attaches to it and the squeaking sound completely disappeared. A car that costs this much should not squeak!!!. My 03 had it from new and it only got worse until at 1500 miles I decided to do something about it. Good luck, I hope this fix helps.

hlanni: I am happy to report the squeak has been silenced! I took a more modest approach than suggested in your posting. As you instructed, I lifted off the transmission surround, but only the front two clips. This allowed me to elevate the forward edge of the transmission surround about an inch above the lower edge of the seat heater panel. I then (very carefully !!) inserted an index finger in each 12V outlet so that I could exert some "side-to-side" and "up-and-down" force on the 12V panel ... while simultaneously using my two thumbs to apply pressure and slide the seat heater panel in concert with the 12V panel above. Viola ... silence. I was a bit intimidated by the transmission surround extending all the way back behind the seats, so I tried this abbreviated approach first. Thank you for the guidance as I would not have tried this without first obtaining some input from another forum member.

By the way, the high temperature today was 48 deg F in the Detroit area: sunny, windy and brisk. However, my wife and I took a long drive to the coffee shop (top down of course) to celebrate. I am afraid, the top down season is quickly ending here ... unless I can find some 12V electric ear muffs !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back