Installing Chrome Hood scoop on 2004 Thunderbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikenormanrmn@c

mikenormanrmn@c

Last seen
I bought from:
http://www.thefordsource.com/store/car_accessories/thunderbird.htm

5W6Z16C630AAA 50th Anniversary Chrome Hood total price with shipping was $97.26.

No need to open the hood to install the Chrome Hood Scoop. You need a flat edge screw driver with masking tape over the end of the screw driver. The hood scoop is held in place by three clips. See picture. Ply off existing scoop at the three points in picture. Clean area and replace with new Chrome Hood Scoop. Total time five minutes.

Note yellow circle in picture is not there. Reflection in was generated by light when taking the pictures.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Robert:
I have an '02 and there is no way you can install the scoop without opening the hood and taking the clips off the existing one and attaching the new clips to the new scoop ---- Just didn't want someone to get the wrong idea and start prying their old scoop from the outside

I realize now that it is a controversial procedure, but I put on my chrome hood scoop from the front using a screw driver encased in a Ziploc bag to prevent damage to the finish. Perhaps I would not do so again, but it worked just fine and I had the new scoop on in less than fifteen minutes. However, you are right, since the instructions do say remove the hoodliner first. I just did not feel qualified to do so.

eboose, I'm confused...How did you attach the three clips on the back of it? Or is it just on as a force fit?:confused:

George, I used a small screw driver to remove the three old clips. The new chrome scoop came in the package together with three new clips as one piece. I merely aligned it with the three slots in the hood and pushed it in place. It fits as snugly as the old scoop.

Thanks eboose:)

Chrome Hood Scoop Installation

I saw Robert's e-mail a few days ago and decided to give it a try. Just installed it on my '02 and everything went as described. I was able to remove the old one from the outside starting with a putty knife and moved up to a screwdriver to finish the job. Could have probably reused the existing clips, but finally ended up pushing them back into the holes and using the new ones. I'll pop the hood liner loose and retrieve them when I'm feeling ambitious. Only thing that surprised me was how much effort was required to remove the old one. The clips have a good grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back