Insecurity parking with the top down

Status
Not open for further replies.
J
Here are a couple of things I have noticed about using the alarm while parking with the top down:
1. The hood release will still open the hood. The alarm will sound, but the hood is open now.
2. The CD's in the changer can be ejected without opening the door or sounding the alarm.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How can the CD's be ejected if the radio is off? I guess I'd better try that, but frankly, who would know even if it were possible. As for the hood opening, what's inder there that a thief would want or could get at anyway? Paranoia is a bad thing to have, jsut relax and enjoy the car. That's why we have a little thing called insurance!

Even though it is insured, I would hate to lose six of my favorite CD's and then have to listen to the radio until I got home. It wouldn't be worth claiming on insurance. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car! I just thought others should know about these things.

Originally posted by JimmyFitz:
Even though it is insured, I would hate to lose six of my favorite CD's and then have to listen to the radio until I got home. It wouldn't be worth claiming on insurance. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car! I just thought others should know about these things.

Jimmy,
Thanks for the info. I tried it and you are correct. I don't think it is a huge issue, but I think most of us appreciate learning something new.
I am more concerned with "crap" falling out of the air when the car is parked with the top down. I would love to see a simple solution boot for the cockpit.
Keep posting any quirks you find. If they amaze/amuse you, there will be general interest.

If your hood is up, what can they steal? And who would steal your music, as diverse as musical tastes are, nowadays? I had a '96 Sebring cv, and worried about this for six years. Trust me,it's not worth it.

Folks....

I've owned a convertible for about the past 5 years and early on I realized that top up or down (soft top that is) the contents are up for grabs. That is just the nature of the beast.

The reality is that they will get what they want from the car top up or down, but if you lock the car with the top up you may also get a bill for a new top!

My rule of thumb..(1)Do not leave anything valuable out in the open (don't think CDs in the console fall into that catagoryand (2)Don't bother locking car when the top is up...let them open the door not cut the roof!

I take my 2000 Mustang Convertible to the train station every day and never lock the car. Its got an alarm and a Lojak and I just close the doors and let the alarm set itself.

This is the price you pay for top down motoring.

I was told MANY years ago to never lock a convertible. They are so easy to get into anyway, why risk a slashed top. They WILL get in if they want to.

Technology has got a simple answer to this problem.
Some alarm companies are selling infrared beam detection systems, which when activated, sound the alarm when a hand or arm moves into the cockpit.
The cost is much greater than 6 CD's and you could burn your fav's into a disk to be left with the car.
Also, remember to lock the key switch on the drivers door to lock the trunk.
Firefighters some police and tow truck operators train to get into locked vehicles and the criminals are very good at it too.
I have never met a vehicle I could not get inside.
Smash/slash are punks not pros and where you park may determine the odds of this occurrence.
Always lock your vehicle, top or no-top, without the key Ford perimeter sytem is armed and will initiate when the door is opened from the inside.

As another veteran of top-down motoring from ford (a 1996 Mustang) I concur with the opinions offered that this is the nature of the beast. About a year after I got my convertible, the driver's side lock stopped working in the unlocked position. Apparently the power locking mechanism threw a rod or something in the door panel. I did not want to disassemble the door myself, and my mechanic agreed that it would be a major pain… I fretted about this for about a month, then simply unscrewed the latch so that it wasn't obvious through the window and called it a day.

As far as "dive bomb attacks" from the local bird population, I took to leaning the seat forward before leaving it parked. Is that possible on the new Bird? At least then, if one occurred, it would be on the back of the seat… and could be tended to at home. However, I assume y'all are far more likely to suffer from drool stains given the looks of the T-Bird!

Happy Motoring!

LIke FDTHIRD, with my last convertable, i never locked it. i am not sure what i will do with the T-BIRD now. Like someone else said, for now there is some always looking at the car, so this may deter thiefs for awhile.

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back