I have to vent!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
We took the bird out today and a hauler passed by us with gravel flying out of the back...I couldn't believe it. ( Yes it was "covered?")....My husband even pulled off of the road but there was no way to avoid the bouncing rocks that were hitting the car. I am so angry. I wish I could have got the name of the business who's truck it was but we did not dare get up close to it again. It left white debris all over the front end but Mel (hubby) said it looked like nothing permanent. Whew!

I'll tell you at that moment I wished the bird could fly!

------------------
Bird, Bird, Bird.....Bird is the Word

It happens -- I got a rock in my windshield - had it repaired, but it's not invisible. At least you only got dirty. Be glad there are no permanent marks. Oh well, just enjoy the car - It's GREAT!

I guess we will be looking at what's coming up behind us for a little while till the fright passes! Yeah, I'm certainly glad nothing permanent.

~~^~~BlackBird

Originally posted by BlackBird:
We took the bird out today and a hauler passed by us with gravel flying out of the back...I couldn't believe it. ( Yes it was "covered?")....My husband even pulled off of the road but there was no way to avoid the bouncing rocks that were hitting the car. I am so angry. I wish I could have got the name of the business who's truck it was but we did not dare get up close to it again. It left white debris all over the front end but Mel (hubby) said it looked like nothing permanent. Whew!

I'll tell you at that moment I wished the bird could fly!

Crap happens. My 3 year old took a rock and ran it down the side of the sable with 3,000 miles on it.

Tbird

Sadly, those trucks always seem to have the disclaimer painted on the rear telling you that they are not responsible for articles which come from the highway---and, those things that fly from the trucks hit the road first, thereby "relieving" them of legal responsibility. Too often, they have no insurance anyway, and we couldn't collect from them even if you do run them down, stop them, and drag the screaming driver out of the cab!

Blackbird:

I feel your pain!

Whenever I got a new car my father in law used to offer to "help" me by putting a dent in it so I wouldn't have to worry about it any more....

It will be interesting to see how the paint holds up on Tbird "noses". I have a Z3 also, and the paint they use is notorious for getting rock chips. I have about a dozen on my '96, I'm about as anal as they get when it comes to taking care of a car! Other Z3s have dozens to hundreds of tiny chips on the nose and hood. I hope the TBird does better.

Glad to hear there was nothing permanent. Try a little bug & tar remover, I hope it works out for you!

Tom M

T-Bird....We can handle the crap, it's the rocks that hurt!
redface.gif
) About the 3 year old, is he still living? LOL

Tom...thanks for the kind words.

Heelbird....I didn't know that!

------------------
Bird, Bird, Bird.....Bird is the Word

A little hint for those of you who encounter rock chips-

The body shop I use exclusively recommends using DuPont base coats and PPG epoxy clear coats. The reasoning is that the base is a very durable color, and the PPG epoxy clear coat is very resistant to rock chips.

The system works-I have several cars painted in this manner, and thses cars have had it all thrown at them-in 4 years I have found one chip on one car, and that chip was caused by a stone about the size of a golf ball-the same stone popped a hole in my windshield.

When you have to visit-God forbid-a bdy shop, ask them if they can do this type of paintwork-it will be worth it in the end!

------------------

Originally posted by BlackBird:
T-Bird....We can handle the crap, it's the rocks that hurt!
redface.gif
) About the 3 year old, is he still living? LOL

Yes, when he got home I took him down to the garage and had a stern talk about it. He had his hands over his butt the whole time and said he was sorry about 10 times. For some reason I elected to let it pass, although I had time to stew since my wife had told me about it on her cell phone before she got home. He just turned three, so he is at that "Borderline" age of right and wrong.

TBird

TBird:

Re the lecture to the 3 year old.... sounds like you did exactly the right thing. Good parenting job.

Raising a child right is a series of small tests, both of you got an A on this one!

Now do something he likes, he sounds like a great kid. Before you know it he'll be 6 ft 3 inches tall like my son, and you'll be cleaning out the toys in the attic with tears in your eyes like me....

Best to you & yours,

Tom M.

Tom,

You have a big one too. Ours is 6' 5". Has your son been in your bird?

I told our son that we could take the top off for him and he could ride in it, although he would look like Marmaduke!

You really need to be smaller in stature to
ride.

I like the fact that it has ample leg room for me. ( 5' 8" ) And the seats are wide enough for my tush. ( No measurements here )

My son fits! 6' 3" I figured he wouldn't ask to drive it as he couldn't fit. I was wrong, drat. Doesn't mater, he WILL NOT DRIVE IT!

Bad enough that he has to drive my Mustang GT. "I'll keep it under a 100 Dad, don't worry." Found out he pushed it to 120. About the T Bird? And he is 25 yrs old.

Reminds me of somebody when I was his age.

My son Daniel is 25 ( soon to be 26 ). He is into 4WD trucks not cars so he really couldn't care less about the bird.
Yahoo!!!!

I'm not driving it either, though. My husband likes it that way.

Blackbird:

I haven't got my TBird yet, so no, Kyle has not driven it.

He just turned 16 so I think the idea of driving the TBird will PROBABLY occur to him... once he gets a little experience I'll let him use it for special occasions. He's always been a trustworthy kid, when he tells me he will do something he follows through 99% of the time.

But actually now that I think about it he's so tickled that we just bought him a car "of his very own" I think just the sheer freedom of independence having his own wheels will do it for him... for a while!

We got him a '96 Subaru Legacy Outback AWD wagon with 90 K miles. My buddy was selling it, for $8 K it looked like a great starter car. Safe, reliable, not enough power to REALLY get yourself in trouble. I'm very pleased.

Tom M

Tom M, It's that 1% that you have to worry about.Back in 1987 I left my son,age 16 at the time, drive my NEW 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, he was supposed to be following me but I though he got stuck in traffic. When I got to the other side of town and pulled up in front of the house my wife came running out and said that Shannon had wrecked the car 2 blocks from where we left from. It was raining and he got on it going around a cornor. $7000. damage to front end. He never got to drive any of my Birds again. So beware of that 1%

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Originally posted by Tom M:
Blackbird:

I haven't got my TBird yet, so no, Kyle has not driven it.

He just turned 16 so I think the idea of driving the TBird will PROBABLY occur to him... once he gets a little experience I'll let him use it for special occasions. He's always been a trustworthy kid, when he tells me he will do something he follows through 99% of the time.

But actually now that I think about it he's so tickled that we just bought him a car "of his very own" I think just the sheer freedom of independence having his own wheels will do it for him... for a while!

We got him a '96 Subaru Legacy Outback AWD wagon with 90 K miles. My buddy was selling it, for $8 K it looked like a great starter car. Safe, reliable, not enough power to REALLY get yourself in trouble. I'm very pleased.

Tom M

Just some words of wisdom, one of my friends who was very responsible had a Mustang GT. Unfortunately a very slick cunning kid talked him into driving the Mustang GT (225hp) and five minutes later they hit a dip in the road at 110 MPH and flipped end over end ejecting everyone from the car except the driver. You could not tell if the car was a Tbird, Cavalier, or F150 after the wreck.

I would sugggest only letting a "child" drive a car with over 200HP with adult supervision unless you have a death wish. It's all fun and games until somebody's eye get's put out, and we always think it can't happen to us until it does. You never know what a teenager is going to do with the hormones going crazy. At age 16, I too was responsible and RAN one of my dad's retail stores during the summer and managed employees, but when I was around my friends I was a teenager.

If you are wondering, everyone lived through the wreck except one person and instead of skidding down the road and getting road rash, he was thrown into a used car lot. :-(

TBird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back