I can see the tape!! | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

I can see the tape!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that the clear tape to prevent scratch from the hardtop, is visible. I was being extra thorough in cleaning my T-Bird yesterday, and just noticed it.

The dealership put the tape on, while they had the top off, trying to fix the rattle I had complained about. That was in July just after I bought it.

Did they put it on wrong? It sticks out about 1/2 inch from the hardtop.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No, thats about right, it does stick out if you align the inside edge of the strip with the sheet metal edge. Most people in the know allow the tape to hang inside about 3/8." If yours has been on since last July its the old tape, the tape that is supposed to be replaced every three months. It seems no one is sure why they recommended three months, some say it only protects for that long, others say the plastic film will start to "bond" with the paint after a period of time. If Ford says "three months" the safety margin is likely three times that period. Not knowing why they selected three months prevents speculation as to whether mileage would also be a factor.

Has anyone used the Invinca-Shield to replace the tape?😕
Hopefully the weather will continue to warm-up and I will be able to take the top off for the first time. If there are scuff marks, I might want need to use something besides the tape.

I've had little red for 1-1/2 years. Unfortunately when I took delivery in July 2002 there wasn't any tape on the car. We removed the hard top shortly after I bought it and had it off for a few months before winter began knocking on the door. I did the tape and if I must say so myself, I did an excellent job. Barely noticeable except when you really inspect the car.

The first application was on the car for about six months till we took the top off in the spring. Now the top has been on since October 2003. I personally love the car with the hard top on, the portholes were the big attraction. I'm sure the top will be coming off in early May.

Susan,

If it’s any consolation I have never heard of anyone with a '02 having their car delivered with the tape installed. And very few ‘03s even had it. For the 2002 model year you were lucky if the dealer didn’t throw the strips away thinking it was extra packing cardboard for the top rack and boot. I took delivery of mine in December 2002, and even months later, the general sales manager first learned about the strips and the wear problem from me.

Njsusan, I love the round windows too. I think they are just the icing on the cake. I am a little hesitant to take the top off, mainly for that reason.

invinca-shield

Sophia:
I have heard many positive comments about the invinca shield product. I received a set at Christmas time and plan to use them instead on the new Ford strips, because I have heard so much good about them

Hardtop Tape

Wow..surprised to hear that many of the cars did not have the tape under the hard top, when the new owners took possession. Tape was on mine for sure. Betcha those cars without tape were on show room floors and tops had been removed to show convertible. I took my top off immediately after purchase and have never put it back on. I love the hard top look, but just do not want to risk scratching my car. Just keep thinking the "fix" will happen and the months just keep ticking away. If the weather is 68 degrees or more my top comes down immediately, I just do not want to be bothered with taking the top on and off.

My 04 did not have any tape. And it was not a showroom car. The salesman and I removed the top from a car in the showroom and that one didn't have tape, either. Like you said, that one might have had the tape removed, but the salesman said that was the first time they'd taken a top off one of their cars, so I don't think so. A tape packet did come with the car, so I'll probably use that next winter if nothing better comes around. At first we thought we'd leave the top on the rest of this winter, but we really couldn't wait to see it with the top off, so we removed it a couple days after we bought it and haven't put it on since. Good thing.

butek:
Since you have an '03 and the new tape came out in December '03, you should verify that you have the correct tape.

If the tape in your trunk was in a cardboard box only, it is probably the old type, good for 3000 miles only, and it should be replaced by the dealer.
If it is in a black plastic fold over case with a T Bird logo on it and a snap, you have the latsest tape. Good for 50,000
Proper part number is 4W6Z-76202W30-AA. The old part number started with a 1.
Good luck and welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back