Hydraulic Cooling Fan Fluid Type 2002 T Bird

350xfire
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Guys, can you tell me what type of fluid is in the hydraulic unit of the cooling fan? I assumed it would be Mercon like the trans and power steering but I have some type of light pink watery liquid in there.... Is that just pink Mercon contaminated with coolant?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Found old post on Lincoln LS that stated fluid should not look like pink puke... Mine looks like pink puke. Does that mean my hydraulic unit is bad? How did water get in there?
Thanks

Hard to say how it may have gotten like that. Air infiltration can cause 'foaming' of the oil but this should settle out if the car sets a while. It may take several changes to get all of the old fluid out if your are just emptying and refilling the reservoir as it dilutes down the old. To do a complete one time flush, you would need to find the return line and disconnect it and catch it in a bucket. Have someone start the car while continuously pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir until it runs clean. Shut off engine ASAP to avoid running the pump dry. This may take a gallon or more of fluid.

Please summarize your post in your subject "Hydraulic Cooling Fan Question 2002 T Bird" is now "Hydraulic Cooling Fan Fluid Type 2002 T Bird"

Good titles get more responses.

After 3 flushes the fluid looks way better. Still a bit of moisture in it so I will probably do it 2-3 more times.... The question still remains as to how water got in there? Could it be just condensation? The fan is turning so I think the system is good.
Thanks

After 3 flushes the fluid looks way better. Still a bit of moisture in it so I will probably do it 2-3 more times.... The question still remains as to how water got in there? Could it be just condensation? The fan is turning so I think the system is good.
Thanks

It is unusual for condensation form, but it could happen. Maybe the cap was lost at some point? Keep flushing, I suspect it will be fine. I often drain and fill the brake and P/S reservoirs when I do an oil change, giving then some fresh each time.

So I have the Mercon V in my '94, but it looks like they want the Mercon (no V) for the '02's hydraulic cooling system and the steering? I guess I need to get some Dexron III?

Check w/someone who should know. One should always try to use recommended fluids. Motor oils, and other lubes are usually backwards compatible. The Mercon/Dexron has been confusing for many years. It used to be Mercon OR Dexron, but now they seem to have merged.

Back