How to remove emblems 1956

56 Bird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm prepping my car for paint and would like to know how to remove the emblems from the car!!
In particular the one on the front and the Ford emblems on the sides!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

They have studs through the sheet metal, remove nuts from inside fenders and behind (above) grille.

They have studs through the sheet metal, remove nuts from inside fenders and behind (above) grille.
Thanks for your response Tater!! I found that on the script!! That was no problem. They were those quick nuts..
I also see that the louvers have nuts but the Ford emblem has another kind of connector..
To get to the emblem on the front you have to go behind the grill?
I tried I couldn't see a way up in there.

A Salesman at NPD said you can pry them from the top!!?

I have a 55. There is no prying on it. It's fastened the same way. I wouldn't think they changed in 56. Maybe wait for another reply.

I'll try to get ya some pics tomorrow

To get to the emblem on the front you have to go behind the grill?
I tried I couldn't see a way up in there.

A Salesman at NPD said you can pry them from the top!!?
There is a removable plate in the inner splash pan. remove the two screws. Hope you have long arms.

It's been a while since I removed/replaced the front emblem, but I don't think you just pried it off. Talk to people at CASCO or Hill's - they know what their talking about. Both restore cars, I doubt NPD does. That is why I do all my business with CASCO - excellent tech advice

I just changed my '55 crossed flags. You must remove the grill.

I was afraid of that!! I started to do it that way. Seemed like a can of worms!!
Que sera, sera!!
Thanks Jeff55!!

Paul, above has the right answer. There is an access cover in the lower splash pan in front of the radiator. No need to take the whole grill out. A long extension on a ratchet should let you get to it. But if you are going to do a repaint I'd remove everything possible including all the trim around the grill. You can only tape up so much and make it look professional. Time consuming but the end result will be worth it

Back