How to diable cigarette lighter when car off???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a radar detector, which gets plugged into the driver side cigarette lighter. Only problem is it doesn't turn off when the car is powered off - the ligher still sends power.

Is there a work around for this which will power off that device, but not affect any other devices? E.g. switch a fuse or something.

Thoughts???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I put an in-line rotary switch on my detector's cable (similar to those you see on many small table lamps). It's very easy to install, they usually come with instructions. This was a simple fix without having to get too involved.

Good Luck!

I wonder if the cigarette light or utility power outlets use the power saver. That power turns off after approximately 10 minutes to save the battery. I have not tested it myself.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

BotNew56,
No the battery saver is for interior & under hood lights only. The battery saver has no effect on cigarette lighters or outside head & park lamps.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back