Holding value | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Holding value

• Thread starter Thread starter txbrd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by txbrd:
I am about to make the leap for 02 red bird. I am concerned about value in 4 to 5 years. Any opinions?

It will be just like any other convertable with decent resell if you can find the right buyer in the top down months. Regardless, it will drop like a rock, you can count on it. Don't buy the car for resell, buy the car because you will enjoy it.

There have been MANY times in the past when a manufacture has come out with a new, cool car, and they are all outdated not and worth very little.

The next few years will bring some really cool cars.

I agree that for the most part the cars will loose value quickly. The dealers in Dallas/Fort Worth are sellings 2002 for $4,500 off. That can not help our resell value.

However, if everyone refuses to sell or sells/trades only for high values; then the long term resell would be better. It is up to the owners of the cars to refuse low offers. It would be very hard to make this happen, but since we have the first cars it will be up to us.

I would buy a used 2002 if you really plan to sell it in 4-5 years. You should be able to find one for 30,000-33,000. I hope you can not. Sorry.

Good luck!

No one knows what will happen to any car's value. Buy it, drive it and enjoy it!
Then read and listen to the experts and draw your own conclusion.
Read the article at: www.nbc4.tv/automotive/1908444/detail.html

Originally posted by George:
Then read and listen to the experts[/URL]

There is no mystery on this one, this auto held over MSRP for less time than the PT Cruiser, and it is a mass produced specialty 2-seater convertable with plenty made to meet demand. All mass production cars have horrible resell value, and the imports with 2-5 percent better resell value cost 10-20 percent more to begin with.

This one will hold a little more percentage of it's original cost just because they are not in fleet or rental, but as you can see, with winter on, and the year 2003 upon us, some dealers are selling them new at or below invoice.

It is unfortunate, but at least it is something you know going in and does not come as a big suprise.

------------------
Tbird

Enjoy the ride..... Yesterday at a classic car auction here in Scottsdale, AZ, a 2002 white/white w/300 miles was sold for $29,500; a black/black w/3500 miles was sold for $29,750.... You can buy a new 2003 here in Phx for INVOICE or less, not MSRP. Enjoy the ride, I do!

------------------
2002 Full Yellow/White
2002 Sonata
2003 Santa Fe
2001 Western NEV
1993 Riviera
1986 Porsche 944
1947 Oldsmobile "66" Sedanette

Originally posted by Terry:
Tbird one of the 10 best of all models at holding value.

I was referring to what he said 4-5 years down the road, not current values. No dealers here even touch a KBB they use Black Book which is published weekly and NADA as a backup. The cars are all over the place which cannot help the resell.

Regardless, ALL of them lose a LOT of money, even the top 10.

-

True, tbird, Maybe one can expect somewhat slower loss than the more mass produced Taurus,for example. So if one buys a tbird it may lose a lot like nearly any other car but MAYBE not as much as the others (if these "experts" are right). One thing is a sure bet, It will not A-ppreciate any time soon. Like a fine Bourbon, meant to be enjoyed today because unlike wine, it will not improve with laying back.

Originally posted by Terry:
True, tbird, Maybe one can expect somewhat slower loss than the more mass produced Taurus,for example.B]

Wonder what the world would be like if cars appreciated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back