High Speed Engine Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen reports that mention high speed engine whine in the 2002 Tbird.
I take that as a good sign. The engine uses a timing chain and I hope they do not use plastic covered gears to reduce noise.

My son had a Dodge charger that had the plastic timing gear fail and that made the chain slip a couple of nothes. We replaced the gear with a solid steel one. Whine is better then plastic that fails later.

Does anyone know for sure that the timing gears are not covered with plastic or teflon?

hsiegl

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recalled reading something about timing gears in the Thunderbird's online eSourcebook. When I went back to check, I discovered that Ford - in its neverending quest to protect itself from the consumer - has made the site members only. All that remains is a yellow bird staring blankly out from the screen.
frown.gif

Originally posted by tr cruiser:
protect itself from the consumer - has made the site members only. All that remains is a yellow bird staring blankly out from the screen.
frown.gif

You can get a sourcebook to look at from your local dealer, they are laying around everywhere in offices. They are a big binder.

I have the basic sheets from the source book, and that is it http://www.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird.pdf

Speaking of exhaust sound -- my car has 10,000 miles on it now, and the exhaust soulds terrific. It's quiet until you stand on it -- then it has such a sweet growl to it. I wouldn't think of changing it out for borland or anything other than stock.

Originally posted by DavidA:
Speaking of exhaust sound -- my car has 10,000 miles on it now, and the exhaust soulds terrific. It's quiet until you stand on it -- then it has such a sweet growl to it. I wouldn't think of changing it out for borland or anything other than stock.

David,
Did your exhaust get the "growl" after X miles? I only have 2500 miles on mine and my one complaint is that the exhaust is too quiet. It is as quiet as my wife's Lexus. I would have had a pair of Magnaflow (love the polished stainless) put on last week, but the speed shop is backed up 2 weeks. I would keep the orignal ones just incase it got too noisey, but frankly that isn't a big issue for me.

-

I started noticing the exhaust a few thousand miles ago and it seems to be getting incrementally louder. It's NOT a borland or thrush muffler sound, it's just a nice note in my opinion. I only hear it when I push the throttle, otherwise it's quiet and that's just fine with me. I jsut don't wnt to hear it constantly, I like the quiet times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back