Help NEW HOOD or REPAINT

Status
Not open for further replies.
HKS
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a small deep paint chip (bare metal)on top of the hood. The factory did it.

Shall I have the hood repainted,use touchup paint, or can a person get a painted hood from the factory?

Help would be appreciated.

HKS

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would suggest that it is not Bare Metal as the hood is plastic.
You deciede if you want a panted or repair job as if the factory fault they should satisfy you.
I would let them toch it up and if you are not satified get it painted entirely.
If they use the touch up paint have them give you the used paint applicator!

leisha,

There is shiny metal showing!! Middle of hood drivers side. To the left of hood scoop.
HKS

Originally posted by leisha:
I would suggest that it is not Bare Metal as the hood is plastic.
You deciede if you want a panted or repair job as if the factory fault they should satisfy you.
I would let them toch it up and if you are not satified get it painted entirely.
If they use the touch up paint have them give you the used paint applicator!

HKS, the hood is plastic. What color is the car? I would say repaint unless it is bue as this is a harder color to match due to it being metallic.

HKS:
If you know that the factory did it (or Transit) I would tell the dealer to make it right. You bought a new car and it should not have that defect. Afterall, if it was runny paint, I would assume that you would go back to the dealer.

We had to have a small dent/chip repaired on the rear deck of our blue bird. The dealer repaired and painted just the area around the chip (about 6" in diameter), and clearcoated the whole deck lid. The paint matched perfectly. If you did'nt know where it was you would never see it. At just the right angle you can see a very tiny bump where the dent was. Overall we were really happy with the repair.

Originally posted by Blue Heaven:
HKS, the hood is plastic. What color is the car? I would say repaint unless it is bue as this is a harder color to match due to it being metallic.

Blue Heaven,

The hood may be made of composite material. That is, metal and plastic. I know what metal looks like before it rusts. Bright shiny just like aluminum or newly scratched sheet metal.

Anyway that spot on the hood is metal. Drivers side about 1/3rd way up from front.

The dealer offered to paint the hood. They promised to remove it for painting.

The color is Blue.

Someone else posted a problem with green tint on the plastic in the the engine compartment. That must have been a "paint the hood on the car" deal with overspray.

HKS

-

HKS,
I'm glad to hear that the dealer has offered to repaint the entire hood (and do it off the car, the overspray can be disasterous). Tundrabird is very fortunate that his spot repair came out so good. Too many times I've seen them go bad. Perhaps it is easier to have these new paints feathered together. In the past, metallics were difficult to deal with.
Anyway, glad to talk to a fellow Blue Bird owner! Good Luck!

Thanks for all the support you guys have given me. Now I have another issue. Corrosion anf fabric protection I got talked into but have not paid for yet. I will start another thread.

HKS

Originally posted by Blue Heaven:
HKS,
I'm glad to hear that the dealer has offered to repaint the entire hood (and do it off the car, the overspray can be disasterous). Tundrabird is very fortunate that his spot repair came out so good. Too many times I've seen them go bad. Perhaps it is easier to have these new paints feathered together. In the past, metallics were difficult to deal with.
Anyway, glad to talk to a fellow Blue Bird owner! Good Luck!

I also had a problem with my blue hood. It turned out to be a seam line that was cracking. My hood was replaced and the body shop painted it and blended it beautifully. It was mentioned that Ford did have a hood recall for another model that had hood cracking problems. Good luck.

I have a blue T-Bird. Have had it since May. Have a stone chip in rt fender. Used the propertouch up paint and followed all the rules.re prep, masking tape , multi coats. While it is much better the color is not quite perfect. I was told by a profession car restorer that even he can not do a touch up that can not be seen on close inspection. Its the price of owning a car. I like to think it gives the car character. Now when I go on the interstate for any distance I put the Bra on
Originally posted by HKS:
I have a small deep paint chip (bare metal)on top of the hood. The factory did it.

Shall I have the hood repainted,use touchup paint, or can a person get a painted hood from the factory?

Help would be appreciated.

HKS

My neighbor and I both have the same Red Premium Birds. He had a crack in the hood. It is definitely composite material. The dealer ordered a new hood and local body shop painted it. It is perfect and you cannot tell. In your case I would have the hood repainted by a body shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back