Hard Top Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Donna,
Nice trophies, Beautiful cars! I have a particular fondness for 1977 vettes!

Beautiful cars!

Yes, I think it was Brad that first said Donna had a nice pair.:p :D

Donna,
That’s an impressive set of trophies - all for the Vette? Have you shown the Bird yet? Do you plan to?

Last edited:
Quickdraw,
When I click on the jpg image you attatched, I get the picture to come up. Does it work for you now?

Thanks everyone!!

The trophies are all for the Vette, and we have recieved a few more since that picture was taken. My husband joined a car club for antique vehicles. He takes it to a few shows each year. I don't care to drive for miles and sit by the car all day, so he goes and has a lot of bonding time with his pals.

I haven't shown the T-Bird, except for those one man (gal) shows when I drive down the road, and people look at it.

nice pair.
That's nothing Quick, today, the doctor told me I REALLLLLLY have a smooooth patela. I told him that nobody had ever told me that before. Hubby and Dr. both laughed, hubby was in for a checkup.

:p

Hubby was in for a check up? Sounds like the Dr was checking YOU out. You'll have to post photos of your patela to see if we concur with the Dr....

Getting back on topic while we wait for photos of Sophias patela heres the hard top fix photo from trpar:

Attachments

• hard top fix.jpg
    hard top fix.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 53
ALERT!! I had a PM from Chris last night stating that the part number he originally listed was wrong. Seems he received an opened package and the strip he used is M852005 Wheel Well Trim and is 5/8 " instead of 7/16. I have already ordered the wrong one and hope I can get it changed before it is shipped out. Sorry for the misleading info, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut until I have FIRST hand info.

Thanks for getting the picture up Quickdraw.

Trpar, you posted to be helpful and it is appreciated! When you get yours on let us know.

Quick, it is a good thing you went ahead and added the pic of the silver strip thing, cause my patela is in such good shape, they won't be x-raying it any time soon.
Dr. only checked it out because I told him it felt like I had knelt on glass shards when I got on my knee to plug something into my pc.
If I ever do need an x-ray, I will be sure to share it with you guys.
:D

I installed Ford's "Yugo Class" fix on my t-bird this afternoon. I am very disappointed with the look and quality of the mylar tape fix. Is there anything new on the stainless steel fix? It seems to have become a cold topic since the winter is over. How well is the molding suggested here doing long term? It looks great in the pictures. Ken

Skylark said:
I installed Ford's "Yugo Class" fix on my t-bird this afternoon. I am very disappointed with the look and quality of the mylar tape fix. Is there anything new on the stainless steel fix? It seems to have become a cold topic since the winter is over. How well is the molding suggested here doing long term? It looks great in the pictures. Ken

The stainless strip fox from Ford is dead. I keep hearing rumors about third parties working on them but nothings out yet...

New strip is on

I finally have put on the 5/8" chrome strip on my Blackbird. Really looks good. I plan to put the Ford Mylar strips over it in the fall when I reinstall the hardtop. :D

New info

Well, I found that the strip has small bubbles under the chrome. :confused: They told me I may have put it on wrong :mad: , until I told them I inspected the balance of their product and it has the same defect. :rolleyes:
They offered to take it back and replace it. So now I have to remove the bad piece, which they also want back. I thought I would be able to leave on until the new one was here but no deal. :eek:

New SS Strip

:D I have my replacement 5/8" chrome strip. BUT, I now have a Stainless Steel Strip that comes in three pieces and should be available soon. Pricing is not yet available but they say it's coming.
I'll try to post pictures here

Attachments

• IM000331.JPG
    IM000331.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 56
George said:
:D I have my replacement 5/8" chrome strip. BUT, I now have a Stainless Steel Strip that comes in three pieces and should be available soon. Pricing is not yet available but they say it's coming.
I'll try to post pictures here

George, are those the ones from QAA? They don't look like it...

The new fix

Quickdraw:
Yes, that picture of my deck with the SS Steel three piece is the latest from QAA. I volunteered my car to be a measurement vehicle for them and then a model for their pictures.
The strip they had for sale came out far beyond the hard top, all the way to the third tail light, and looked bad when the hard top was on.
I am currently riding with my hard top on, just to see if this new strip will scratch the chrome. However, in the long term, I do plan on putting the Ford Mylar or Invinca-Shield over this new strip. In October, for the winter season.
WHY?
A) We wanted to protect our paint from scruffing/scraping. Hard to stop dirt from getting between the HT gasket and the paint. I think that this strip will do that job.
B) I as well as others I know wanted a better finish line when the hard top is off the car. I think that this strip actually does that as well.
C) I now want to protect the chrome strip and enjoy the car without worrying about scratches.
Others have asked about continuing the strip across the doors. While I was there, we made these up but the door strip did not meet the hard top strip so we stopped.
However, I am currently speaking with them about going forward with that strip and making a cross-over piece to meet with the deck strip. This was suggested by another member and so far they have been very receptive to suggestions.
I spent 6 hours with them assembling every piece they make to my car and making adjustments to the designs as we went. Then pictures were taken.
I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back