Hard Top Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trpar

Gold Contributor
Last seen
Found this on another site and am going to make this my permanent solution to the scuffing problem with the Hard Top. Especially if it solves the squeek/rattle problem with the top as well.

Here's a product from Prostripe Moldings avialable from auto body shops that does a terrific job protecting the body from the hardtop scuffing. It's 7/16" wide and comes in a 20' roll. It is hard vinyl covered -- not coated-- with polished aluminum. It also comes in flat black for those of you who don't care for the "chrome" look. You can order it online at www.AutoBodyDepot.net Cost is only $19.95 for the 20 ft roll. Product number is M1052005. I was using the dooredge molding previously, but this works much better. I had it on most of the winter with the hardtop on--and there were no scuffs on the body...it also makes the top rattle free! The strip did not scratch because I covered it with clear tape before putting on the hardtop. Ford's not going to give us a solution that's worth while and APADCO may or may not come out with SS strips--but this works and it's not expensive. Attached are a few pics...

Last edited:
Tried to get the picture included but cannot get it to transfer.

Sorry

trpar, you cant paste a photo directly into a message here, however if you use the "Attach File" option it should show up as a link.

Tried that too without success. Will keep tinkering with it and hopefully hit on a solution.

OK. I'm about to give up on the pic for now. I finally got the pic into the "My Pictures" area where I can browse to it from the "Attach File" option at the bottom but it will not upload and post. At times, I get a "Can't Find Server" error and others just a blank page after it finishes loading. I even tried sending a downsized version with the same results. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate them. Otherwise, I could email someone the photo if there is any interest.

Thanks,

Ted

Originally posted by Quickdraw
trpar, you cant paste a photo directly into a message here, however if you use the "Attach File" option it should show up as a link.

Is that 'can't' because of posting pics being against the rules here? Because it *is* possible to post pics in the thread... I'm just looking for clarification, just in case it *is* against the rules.

http://members.*******/lzeitgeist/PatsFormula.jpg

The web address of the pic to be posted must be known, and better yet, should be uploaded to (and posted from) the user's own webspace/FTP space.

Click here for details...

http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/misc.php?s=&action=bbcode#imgcode

It's also helpful when posting pics to utilize the 'Preview Reply' function below to make sure everything works before the post is actually sent to the thread.

I hope this helps. :) (And I hope I haven't missed the rule that states this is improper for this forum. If I have, please let me know and accept my apologies.)

LZ,
No there isn't a problem of photos being allowed, but rather technical problems with the website and/or the user.

You apparently have someplace to park a photo on the web and link to that so we see it directly. I just tried to post a photo using the "Attach File" field at the bottom of the message entry box and when I hit "Submit" I get the error message that there was a problem posting it ( a small jpg). You obviously are way more knowledgeable than most, and know how to work the system, I have a lot to learn & will experiment a bit today.

Thanks for posting the photo and the link to tips even if it does make me feel inadequate that I can't. <grin>

Oh, O.K. - glad I haven't broken any rules. I like this place. :)

Yes, a user needs to upload the photo to his own webspace (sometimes known as 'FTP Space', for 'File Transfer Protocol') and then enter the address into the coding mentioned above to make the photo appear here.

For example, as an AOL user, I have at my disposal 2 megabytes of FTP Space available to me, to which I upload the pic to the Space through the AOL software, and then I post the address and name of the file which I uploaded.

There are many places which provide a similar place to store pictures which one may want to post, share, or just link to. A search on 'webhosting' or 'FTP Space' should yield a number of places to provide this feature, if the user's Internet Service Provider doesn't already offer space as AOL does. Some sites offer free hosting; some require a small fee for membership, but remember that with the free services, one gets what one pays for. ::smile::

An alternate way of posting pics is by entering the address of the photo from where it was originally found - known, as I recall, as 'hot-linking' - but this method is generally frowned upon because it not only draws from the original uploader's bandwidth (the pic now being downloaded and viewed in two places instead of just the originally-intended one), but it also means that the second poster has no control over the image, and some users, when they discover their pic has been 'hot-linked' to and their bandwidth usage is rising out of their control, will replace the uploaded image with an empty file, or, in some cases, a distasteful image that then reflects upon the secondary user's unapproved usage of the original image.

I'm not a programmer or anything - I'm just an end-user, not a 'techie', but hopefully I made some sense out of what I'm trying to explain here. :)

Originally posted by Quickdraw
Thanks for posting the photo and the link to tips even if it does make me feel inadequate that I can't. <grin>

Oh, please don't feel inadequate - I'm definitely no 'pro', and a lot of this stuff I just sort of muddle through myself. :)

Thank you for providing this forum for our use and enjoyment. :)

And apologies to the original poster for pulling this thread off the original topic...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll try again and see if this utility is working now. This is not MY photo but rather one I found with the original post above. Looks and sounds like an acceptable fix for the scuffing problem.

Attachments

• hard top fix (small).bmp
    65 KB · Views: 103
Trpar,
I just get a blank white image... let me try to post the image you sent me via email...

Attachments

• hard top fix.jpg
    hard top fix.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 97
Same thing with that.. I just see an all white image, is it me or the system? What does everyone else see when they click on the photo links?

That is my other car, I was trying to get the picture to show up instead of the link

Some of my trophies (old pic)

Attachments

• trophies.jpg
    trophies.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
To post a photo directly here you have to have the photo parked on the web somewhere and link to it.

Didn't you have a problem with the steering wheel with the vette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back