Hard Top Problem Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
George & Jim,
A disappointing phone call from my dealer advising that the new revised tape that I've had on order for over a week is not going to be shipped by Ford any time soon. They have either ran out or are going to change it again. The dealer phoned Ford again today and were advised they pulled the product & to check back in December. So I had our graphics dept. scan the patterns from the original tape and have cut matching pieces on a 3mil clear static cling with a "Gerber Edge" machine so to get the exact shape. I plan to try it this weekend. The static shows no properties in the specs that could damage paint and in fact should be less risky than an adhesive product. I'll let you know how it works. Guess the real test will be in the Spring when I remove the top. Enjoy the weekend!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ordered my new tape kit but assume I'll get the same response as Larry that it is now unavailable. Find it pretty ridiculous that Ford is charging a recurring $70 fee to fix a problem that it created. Not to mention the inconvenience and the fact that it's only supposed to work for three months from what I hear.

I checked last week with my dealer regarding my "new tape" order. They have no response from the factory as to when the new tape will be available. He told me that he checks my order weekly. As soon as I hear anything I'll post it.
In the meantime my HT's on for the winter. with the old tape.

Thanks for the responses. Got my tbird in August 2001 but just purchased the hardtop for it last spring. Wondering what this new tape will look like and whether it's something I'll want to take off in the Spring and reapply in the Winter even if it does last 50,000 miles. No other problems with the car except that one of the "hooks" to hold the convertible top in place came off. Otherwise love the car.

Pete and others:
We do not know what the new tape will be like in mil thickness or size etc. They did say it would be good for 50,000 miles. However we may have 50,000 miles before we get it.

Now for some GOOD NEWS - For those of us who want a fix NOW....There is a company, and their web site is www.invinca-shield.com/ - They have gone ahead and made parts for sale. This is the same material that invisible bra's (car covers) are made out of. Just the sail panel is $9.00. Or, a complete kit of strips, solution, squeegy etc. is available now for $24.95.
We may not want to pay for a fix, but right now this is the only fix that will work correctly and the best deal in town. (my opinion)

George-
Thanks for the info. Called the Ford dealership today to see if the part had arrived (they had told me to check yesterday) and was informed that it is back ordered and due to arrive on 1/31/04. I told him that would do me no good and cancelled the order. I called up the place you suggested and they'll ship out the part tomorrow for $25 instead of $75. Curious how they can sell it for $25 and make a profit and Ford finds it necessary to charge $75 when they caused the problem in the first place. Anyway thanks for posting the info. as it came in very handy.

Pete,
My Ford dealership ordered the part under warranty so it would be no charge to me. This should be a warranty part covered by Ford under the "bumper to bumper" provisions. You need to hold them to it. They will work for you especially in the business climate of today's economy. Good luck.

I'm new but an idea I have...

What about a piece of 3M clear weatherguard tape cut to fit. I have not took the top off yet because I just got her like 2 weeks ago and it's cold here.
I think the tape comes in different thicknesses and are kinda easy to apply.

Dave D: Ford is very clear on there instructions that nothing but their approved tape should be used. However, that invinca-shield is proven and safe on paint since it is used on every kind of car as invisible bra's.
Since you just took delivery, I would encourage you to have the dealer take that top off and both of you inspect for paint damage ASAP. Then while it's off, have him apply the strips that came in the trunk of the car. This should have been done prior to delivery anyway. Then when Ford's final fix comes out you can change it or buy the invinca-shield. Good luck.

George: called my dealer today and they said they would cover/repair and damage

that the top has made and they will also install the ford tape if I would like.

Dave:
I'm glad you did that. It's the only way to go, for now. Also, while you are at the dealers, be sure that they order the replacement tapes for you as well. Especially since the ones in the trunk that they will be putting on are only good for 3000 miles. The replacements are supposed to be good for 50,000 miles.
If you do a search above on "Hardtop" and read all of the posts, you'll find that the scuffing is an old problem.
It was there in the '50's T-Birds as well, but with the internet we got their attention this time around.
The newer Ford fix, tape replacements are due in, in December but my dealer says "don't bank on it".
When the dealer gets mine I'll post here so others can check with their dealers.

When I tried to order the new fix, I was told the general service manager would need to contact Ford to see if they would cover the $66 cost, since I said I wasn't paying for it. Got a call today saying Ford would pay half and my dealership would pay the other half. I said thanks, but I wonder if my next service call or oil change will be $66 higher than expected. Hadn't thought of having them install it, but that's a great idea! Thanks!

I think that we'll find that every dealer is different. When I ordered mine they said it would be covered under warranty since it was replacing the original type.
Of course I won't know for sure until it comes in and I get the parts.

New mylar is in

I know I posted in another thread that the Mylar is in at Ford dealers and I received mine under warranty.
However, since a lot more members had posted here, I thought that I would repost here as well since those that post get notified of when posts are responded to.
Just making sure everyone knows that they should have the problem resolved.

Thanks for the update George. I will be at my dealer tomorrow to drop my mother's car off of service so will check on the new mylar. Having much snow in KC today and also snow off & on over the past 3 weeks, so my T-bird has had quite a rest. My wife and I were going to take it out of town last weekend on a short trip but had to driver the boring sedan do to the dirty roads with salt and sand residue. We are ready for Spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back