Hard Top 'pops' | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Hard Top 'pops'

• Thread starter Thread starter irsgm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this forum is great, if for nothing else to learn about potential problems with their solutions. I already have had the "CD ERROR"" problem, and the dealer claims I need new rear wheel bearings for the 'humming' noise, which I was able toread up about here.

What I did not see was anyone mentioning anything about a 'popping' noise from the rear of their hardtop. I find no rhyme or reason as to when it will occur = various speeds, distance, time periods = so nothing comes to mind as to why it does this. Actually, my mother's screen porch, which is all metal, also does this, and she was told it had to do with atmospheric pressure for the porch. I doubt it would be that for the car. The local Ford dealer had nothing on it, and of course, couldn't make it happen during the test ride. 😕 Anyone else experience it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think this forum is great, if for nothing else to learn about potential problems with their solutions. I already have had the "CD ERROR"" problem, and the dealer claims I need new rear wheel bearings for the 'humming' noise, which I was able toread up about here.

What I did not see was anyone mentioning anything about a 'popping' noise from the rear of their hardtop. I find no rhyme or reason as to when it will occur = various speeds, distance, time periods = so nothing comes to mind as to why it does this. Actually, my mother's screen porch, which is all metal, also does this, and she was told it had to do with atmospheric pressure for the porch. I doubt it would be that for the car. The local Ford dealer had nothing on it, and of course, couldn't make it happen during the test ride. 😕 Anyone else experience it?

It seems there is a Technical Service Bulletin, or a corrected part, for the rear locking latchs. Ask your service manager to look up the TSBs. My solution has been to never put the top on <grin> and even the soft top is rarely up.

hard top solution on my 2003 T-Bird

After trying the factory recommended thin plastic seal, that did not seal or cushion the bumps, I found that a thin foam window seal with adhesive backing works great to lower my top onto!

IRSGM,
I found this at thunderbird forum. com

=================================
Hardtop Rattling?
Here's a TSB out on the subject:
Here's one of the culprits:

16155 - 2002 Thunderbird built before 08/02/2002 - Rattle from Removable Roof Latches
Some 2002 Thunderbird built before 08/02/2002 may exhibit a rattle noise near the removable roof (hardtop) retaining latches. Verify the T40 screws at the A-Pillars are torqued to a 9 NM (80 lb-in) and that both latch levers are positioned fully forward. If rattle noise is still present, replace both latches with revised parts, 1W6Z-76506A20-AB right, and 1W6Z76506A21-AB left. Install the new latches with the roof removed, securing the latch fasteners only finger tight. Clean any dirt and debris from the roof seals and seal contact area on the vehicle. Carefully set roof on vehicle and engage the latches (levers postioned fully forward). Lift the latches upward to the limit of the adjustment slots and torque fasteners to 12NM (9 lb-ft). Refer to workshop manual, section 501-14 for additonal details.

The above fix (June 03) did not fix our rattles though ours can be attributed to the handles. UPDATE February2004: Let our top sit off the car for several months and put it back on. It doesn't rattle anymore, so the seals may have needed to rest?? Update 2: March 2004: There is another solution that is being tested by owners. Update 3: After about a month on the car, the rattles started coming back this spring. Hardtop came off anyway for the spring weather.

Some have reported rattle caused by rear shelf of hardtop vibrating against body or stored softtop.

===========================

Cause of "Humming" noise

Hi,

I have the humming noise on my 03 and I thought it was tire noise. I can't seem to find it here. Do you have the real cause and a hopefully cheap fix.

Have a great day,

Jim

Jetbird

I took the top off this spring and removed the clear tape. It had collected dirt around the edges and was visible even when the top was on. I have another tape kit but I forgot to put it on when I put the top back on. It has rattled pretty bad ever since I put the top back on. I had it inspected today and asked them if it needed adjusting. I think what they said I needed was a rattle adjuster?? They explained that it was like clear plastic tape. They said it would be $140 dollars, that seems awfully high. I am thinking the stainless strip would last longer and look better.

Now I have to do some research to find the stainless strips.

It will do better. You have two ways, without the mylar. The stainless from QAA or a chrome plastic piece that is sold by Prostripe. BTW, if you go Prostripe you getr 18' which is enough for two applications, and easy to put on.
Hopefully you can find all the data here by using the search function.
If not, let me know and I'll get you the info.

SS Top strips

I bought the stainless steel top strips for my 03 bird and this cured most of my top noise. However, the strips will move around over time with the top installed. That's my only complaint. I also replaced the rear wheel bearings at 20,000 miles and it was EXPENSIVE. Guess who got an extended warranty. Of course, no new problems after I got the warranty. The top strips are well worth the money.

Have a great day,

Jim (jetbird)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back