Hangin the Top from the ceiling

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very tight on garage storage space, and I got drywall streaks on my hardtop the last time I brought it down to my basement.

I'm contemplating devising some type of rack to hang hardtops from the ceiling of my garage.

I'm not sure how back heavy they are, but based on the pictures of the hoists, I think 2 cross supports under the forward section of the top should hold it.

Does anyone know anyone that has tried something like this before?

What should I build it from? Wood would probably be the easiest and cheapest for me, but is there something that would work better (like galvanized water pipe covered with something)?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Could you mount the hardtop stand on the wall and set the top on it in its natural upright position? I wouldn’t want any of the seals or soft surfaces of the top to bear the tops weight for any length of time. If you had a shelf-like holder where the back seal would rest flat all round much as it would rest on the car that would seem OK though.

Brad, why not buy a hoist? Lifts the top off the car with ease, then stores it up high.

The hoist is what made me think about storing up above. I think Quickdraw's point is that the strap on the hoist or any other method that supports the top by the sides may ultimately damage the side weather striping on the top. I tend to agree with his point especially since this piece of rubber is probably the most problamatic on the car.

As he suggested I'm trying to design a shelp that it could sit in that would support it from the front and back (like on the car. I wonder if putting the full weight on the side latching points would be ok. (to avoid weight on the rear rubber).

Quickdraw, mouting it on the wall would get it up off the ground by a few feet, but would end up still occupying the safe footprint, and subjected to random baseball's.

I thought I read somewhere regarding the hoists that some of them avoid that problem......

I rent one of those self-store units with my brother to store all our junk that we can't part with, and in the summer I put the hardtops from my bird and the jeep there. Otherwise, we'd be out of garage space for one vehicle. If you think the bird top is hard to lift and store, try a jeep top! At least twice as heavy and twice as big!

We rented a storage shed one winter for the Vette. About a week after we brought it home, someone broke into several units. We lost a lot of valuable things. Didn't think to make a list of the things we had storred. Every once in a while, I think of something else that we lost.
I don't know if you can get insurance, but consider it. Also keep records, and take pictures.

The manufacturer of my hoist didn't recommend storring the top in the hoist for any long periods of time.

If I put mine on a high shelf, I would consider putting it upside down to avoid damaging the seals, and on something like a foam mattress to prevent scratches.

Donna, that really s***ks! we've had our space for about 3 years now, no trouble. All they would get would be some old furniture and alot of Christmas decorations! I like your idea of storing the top upside down, on some foam.

Maybe even some kind of hammock for the top might work, who knows.

Brad if this link comes out they have a cock pit cover and a hoist lift I think you should check out. I bought both of these products and they work perfectly. I bought an electric 880 lbs hoist from Harbour Freight for $79 and mounted it to my garage ceiling. Now it is a 1 person mount and removal.

://64 .225. 94. 154/ShopSite/page50.

put http at the beginning and html at the end of the above line
and take out all spaces

TBird Cockpit Cover
$79.95 $69.95 On Sale!
Now in stock for immediate delivery and on Sale. Our cockpit covers are made from NOAH - one of the finest cover fabrics available. Here is an easy way to keep dust, bird droppings, ect.. out of your interior. Installs in seconds and does not require removal of the boot. Very secure even in windy conditions. Light gray.
Sale Price $69.95 plus S/H
[Add to Cart] [View Cart]

TBird Hard Top Hoist
$215.00
Using this hoist allows you to remove and install your hard top with just one person easily. Designed specifically for the 2002/3 TBird hard top. Your top is cradled by a lightweight aerospace 6061 T6 aluminum tube surrounded by high-density foam that supports the hardtop securely from beneath, avoiding paint and weather stripping. The hardtop is balanced with a connected harness of nylon seat belt webbing that is sewn with heavy-duty polyester thread to the required length. Your hardtop can be suspended indefinitely unlike other designs!
Price $215.00 plus S/H

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of great things there, thanks!!

Last edited:
TATDC
I edited mine while you were typing your last post. :)

Most of the hoists I've seen don't look like a very good long term way to store the top.

The goofy thought I had this weekend was to use either steel or a 4X4 and either put holes in it where the rear latches are, or attach actual receivers, and then come up with something for the front to rest on. this way no pressure on the gasket or inside of the top, or outside.

Originally posted by Brad
or attach actual receivers, and then come up with something for the front to rest on. this way no pressure on the gasket or inside of the top, or outside.
I was thinking of a similar solution. For the front there are the holes the screws go into to utilize.

But if you have space, I believe it is best to leave it on the cradle and just use the hoist to remove and install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back