Guess We All Know of the Demise of the Thunderbird For 06? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Guess We All Know of the Demise of the Thunderbird For 06?

• Thread starter Thread starter TampaBird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Hey Guys I Am New to this forum and am a Major Thunderbird Lover. I Have Owned 7 Different Thunderbird Starting with a 64 Hardtop, had a 65 Hardtop, a 66 Town Landau, an 84 Fila V8, an 87 Turbo Coupe, an 89 Super Coupe, and now Drive a 97 LX V8.

As you can probably tell, I Am one of those Thunderbird Lovers That Preffers the Four Seaters. I Do admire the 2 seaters, but I am a Large Man, 6'4" 350# and Find Both Classic and Modern 2 seaters very cramped and un comfortable.

My point of this post is that I'm sure that we have all heard the news by now that the current Thunderbird is Due to expire after the 2005 model year, and that it's 2006 replacement will be a different configuration. Can you say Return of the 4 Seater?

Well I am also an amature car designer and have done many Thunderbird designs over the years and have recently done a new Thunderbird four seater for 2006 I have used the same formula that j Mays and the Ford Design staff used for the Current Thunderbird, and upcoming 2005 Mustang.

I Have Incorporated Styling Cues From The First (Classic) 4 Seat Birds. Starting with the 58-60, some 61-63, and some 64-66 Design Cues. I Think that the next Thunderbird should be a V8 powered, four seat, sleekly designed, sports luxury car, with an affordable price of around $28-35 Thousand dollars, and offered in Coupe, Convertible and Hardtop Convertible Forms.

Here is My Design for the 2006 Thunderbird. I Also Have More Designs for other Thunderbirds Including another 2006 2 Seater, and Many other Cars posted at this link.

http://pak01.pictures.*******/NASAp...cXy/jFCnkV3ciA==&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails

Attachments

• 2005 t-bird white.jpg
    2005 t-bird white.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

New Link!

Hey Guys, Sorry if you were unable to link to My Design Album Before. I didn't know that you had to sign up with AOL you've Got Pictures to view them. I have now posted them at a new site. Please click on the Link Below to View My Car Design Album.

http://tampabear67.fotopages.com/

Interesting designs. Maybe you should contact Ford with these.
It will be interesting to see what the 2005 will look like. Although I doubt it would be a radical change for just one year. Probably mostly interior and color of paint.

Thanks for the compliment.

The 2005 thunderbird will look the same as the 2004, as Ford does not want to spend any more money on this design. As they have done before the only thing that will change are colors. Ford has considered the current Thunderbird a loss as it has not met their sales expectations, this is the reason they have decided to cancel this Body Style for 2006, and to make it more of a collectible car like the original 55-57 Thunderbirds, as well as the costs to build it are expensive.

More than likely what we will get for 2006 will be a Four seat coupe, and probably a Convertible, based on slightly stretched version of the DEW Lite platform that is under the new 2005 Mustang, with the IRS from the upcoming SVT Mustang, engineered for this platform. With this set up, it will bring down costs to manufacture it, and still give world class ride and handling.

Ford has big plans for this new platform. Remember the Fox platform? It supported multiple models from the 79-93 Mustang, 78+ Fairmont/Zephyr, 83+ LTD/Marquise (Not the Large Panther platform Cars but the mid size Fairmont/Zephyr replacements) the 83-88 Thunderbird, and the 84-92 Lincoln Mark VII. Ford Has just as many if not more models in the works for this platform. The Next LS, the New Continental, the next Mark, and possibly a new Mustang derived Cougar, are all probably going to be based on this platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not heard of any plans for a Thunderbird in 2006. I think we've all heard that the last year will be 2005 and then production will cease. Where have you heard of plans for a 2006 model?

Life cycle for T-bird

The T-bird will be around in 2006, it will essentially be the same as the 2004 model. 2005 will have some changes, but mostly paint and other "50th Anniversary" nomenclature throughout the car. I would also expect the T-bird to be around in 2007, but more than likely that will be the end of the car in it's present form...

They barely sold over 800 cars in January and that
probably includes 03's too. Be around in 06 and 07
no way, if it makes it through the 05 model that
will be a surprise. Now if Ford want a write off loss
sure, not because they can sell what they make.
they can't.

Jade:
You sound very confident with your info re. future birds. What's your source?
I'm confused since all my readings indicate that it is all over in 2005. Which happens to be the TBIRD's 50th anniversary. Look forward to your response.

Free as a bird: A woody version? Are you a Woody collector? I sold my '41 Ford Woodie a few years back, after owning it for 30 years. It lives in Indiana now.

T-bird life cycle

Wow, looks like there are some raw nerves on this subject. As far as the source of my information, it's beyond reproach. I'm involved with the T-bird at the program level, the life cycle of the T-bird will mirror that of the LS at Wixom Assembly. The amount of cars sold is not an issue, as the volume broadcast for the T-bird at Wixom can compensate for slow sales by producing less cars. Any questions?

I don't think it's raw nerves as much as education. Of course, we only know what we read.
I don't think there's one T Bird owner out there that wants to see it go away and then be introduced again and again. But, we are all interested in it's future.
Obviously it appears that you are in the "know" so I hope you can keep us informed, as things develop.

T-bird Life Cycle

Hey, I'll do what I can to alleviate confusion. The way things look now, the 2006 will essentially be the same as an 04 with minor changes, i.e. deletion of the V8 fender badge, color scheme, etc. Sure, the volumes drop year to year, but Ford does make money on the car, so it will continue to be produced, at least through 06, probably into 07.

Jade,
Any chance the '05 or '06 will have a stainless strip on the quarters and upper-back under the rear hardtop seal surface? 🙂

Scuff moldings

Quickdraw,

Unfortunately, the bright moldings will not be on any future T-bird models (at this time). That program was cancelled by Ford Vehicle Personalization due to the tooling cost involved for the moldings. I could go into more detail on this, but essentially that is the whole story.

thanks for the updates Jade

Folks,

Jade, it is nice to have a good insider view point here. I am glad to hear the T-bird will be around for several more years. It can't hurt to keep the public's interest in the T-Bird for a little longer. My yellow will never be produced again, and I like it that way. We can all look back in 20+ years and know we owned a modern day classic that will age very well with time.

Go Ford...can't wait for that new Cobra Mustang in 2005 and the new Shelby for under $100k.

Flair

Very interesting news, indeed. I certainly hope the bird doesn't go away after 2005, but I can't help wondering if that will be the case when the Mark X goes into production, seeing as it looks very similar, and is also a 2-seater. IMHO, I would rather see the Tbird stick around, with that very cool retractable roof from the Mark X added, than see the demise of the Bird, and the Mark X take it's place.
Keep us informed, Jade!

Jade, I've heard the same info as you as far as production to 2007, and also on the hardtop issue.

My understanding is that the release of the thicker mylar strips is the end of Ford working on a solution for the hardtop rub issue.

It's too late for me, but I'd advise anyone with a new bird to do whatever it takes to get your car to qualify for your state's lemon laws for this problem, since after 36,000 miles you will be out of luck for any type of repair. (the extended warrenty doesn't cover paint).

I heard something awhile back about someone working on a class action suit.....anyone know anything about this?

Lemon T-birds

The mylar tape is the only "fix" being implemented by Ford, the Stainless Steel "scuff" moldings to protect the paint got cancelled due to tooling cost. The kicker on this is that the stainless steel moldings were engineered to the point where they could be removed when the top was off, then put on to protect the paint. The fix was ready to go, the money just stopped the change from getting through the system. Funny how just about all conversations on the T-bird end up visiting this topic sooner or later....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back