Great Lakes Cruise #1 - Grand Rapids, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
Good news! I have preliminary plans in place for the day's activities. Our cruise is scheduled for Saturday, April 27th. Several of you have expressed interest in attending, but now I am ready to finalize the arrangements. So even if you contacted me before, please confirm again per below.

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE
11:00 - 1:00
Rosie's Diner - Rockford
An area will be roped off in front of the diner to park the birds, for show and photos. A table will be reserved inside for the cruisers for lunch. We may "water down" the lot if we wish, to get better photos. I will try to have room enough so we can park the cars at random angles, the better to show the cars. Local enthusiasts may show up for a peek, as I have invited Rosie's to advertise the event if they wish.

1:00 - 6:00
Cruise to Saugatuck (approx 45 minutes). They will have enough angled parking reserved by Wick's Park on Water Street along the river for all cruisers. We can stay with the cars and visit, do some fun top-swapping if desired, shop in the local arts stores, or sample the local snack food.

Later in the afternoon, those who wish can gather at a pre-arranged restaurant for dinner, or do their own thing.

6:30 - Those wishing to may join a cruise back to Rosie's Diner for an end-of-day photo op at dusk with the neon diner lighting on. This is a definite time to water down the lot for some great shots. I plan on having a nite-cap of cherry soda! Sunset is 8:39 per US Naval Observatory, so I think we need to plan on being there at 7:30 to begin setting up for pics. Again, they will rope off an area if we intend to return. I must say, the shots I have seen there of classic cars taken at dusk are awesome.

Anyone wishing to attend is welcome to join us, especially those awaiting their cars. Please send me the following information by email to tbird2002@chartermi.net (not the one listed in my profile).

Your alias - please give posting name
Your e-mail address
Names - each person attending please
Address - I will send you a schedule and maps
Phone number - (optional) so I can contact you if any last minute changes occur.
Car color - if you intend to park in the reserve areas and show your car.

I will finalize the reservations with Rosie's and Saugatuck once I know how many are attending. Please post any commments or suggestions here.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium
Thunderbird Blue/Blue/Partial

-

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just called a couple of local motels and discovered that the weekend of the 27th also has a bowling tournament, and many of the nearby motels are filling up for that weekend. Please contact me soon if you plan on attending and need lodging. I will e-mail a list of motels to the confirmed attendees next week.

2k2Blue, Panz - If you still wish to attend, e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Birdman93 - I am happy you can join us that weekend.

Slyfoxxmi - The T-Bird gods should deliver your car in plenty of time.

Tip - I hope you don't wear out that Bird before the 27th!

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

Birdbrain; I'll have to let you know in a week or so if we can attend, as we may be down south visiting my brother. I'll e-mail you asap. Thanks again for the invite.

I will e-mail more info including a list of a few motels and one local bed & breakfast to verified attendees. If you have not yet e-mailed me and wish to join us, please contact me this week so I can add you to the list and reserve parking spots for you.

We are trying to arrange a professional photographer to take pictures of the cars. More details will follow if this works out.

I still do not have a White, Black or Neiman car. Come and join us. Weather permitting, it should be a really fun day!

Panz - I sure hope you can join us.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

I sent out an e-mail list of the motels this week, and trust you all got them OK. I will finalize the event permit with the city of Saugatuck this week, as well as meeting with the Rosie's owner to finalize the reserved parking area.

Anyone still wishing to join us should contact me this week. We now have a black bird in the flock, so we just need a white and a Neiman. Hope we hear from those soon.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

I submitted the permit application to Saugutuck today, and we have 10 stalls saved by the city park. Talked to Rosie's yesterday, and they will allow us to have a large area in front of the diner to park the cars in a random pattern. I think that might be an interesting photo op.

Other news:

* We should have a professional photographer with us for much of the day. We may assemble photos of Great Lakes Birds at each event over the year.

* I suggest you bring jackets, as the lakeshore temps can be very unpredictable, particularly if it gets windy. Also, you may wish to bring folding chairs to enjoy the park in the afternoon. The cars will get a lot of attention.

* Please let me know if you plan on cruising back to Rosies for the evening. I asked them to save us 10 stalls up by the building for photos as well. Also, would you prefer to spend more time in Saugatuck, and take the 1 hour direct drive back to Rosies, or would you prefer to take a longer cruise back, going through Grand Haven, driving along the lakeshore. It is a tourist town, and would be a nice drive. But this route adds almost 1-1/4 hours to the return trip, and we would have to leave Saugatuck earlier. Right now, may plan is the direct route back.

More news later.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

Our cruise day is drawing near. The great weather has really gotten me in the mood. They are forecasting more seasonable weather next week. No more 80's, but mid 60's would be fine.

Right now we have six cruisers set for our first get-together. If you wish to join us, I have reserved 10 parking spots together at Rosie's as well as Saugatuck. Send me an e-mail this week or post here, including your e-mail address if it is not in your profile.

Rosie's is 1 mile east of 131 on M57. That is one exit north of the Rockford exit.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

I'm sorry to say that several schedule conflicts have cropped up over the last few days, and we are postponing the cruise for now. The unfriendly weather forecast for Saturday hasn't made things any better.

Hopefully another date can be set up later in the spring/early summer.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back