Granitelady | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Granitelady

• Thread starter Thread starter dottielsimard
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dottielsimard

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
I have a 2005 50th anniversary t-bird with 89,000 miles. I have had a problem which no one has been able to identify. When the car is idling, there is a very noticeable humming vibrating noise under the hoodd. I feel it in the steering wheel , on the seat, on the brake and gas pedals. I have had the car on many occassions to two different dealers. They have tried different things but none that solved this problem. Can you help me? Or do you need more information. It is not an idling problem--it is definitely something else.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure I can help but here's a few things from the past:

When a cabin air filter (up near the cowl) is replaced many have found that there's a noise like vibration and it was due to improper installation. Not seated correctly. However, nothing was felt through the steering wheel, only the humming. And especially while driving.

Another ... There are X braces underneath that over the years had been reported as loosened, causing vibration. If I remember correctly there were 8 of them and the torque is 46 ft lbs.

Use the search function for X Brace and you'll find previous postings. Not sure it's your problem but worth a look.

Last edited:
Thank you George, I will take the information to my Ford Dealer. Will let you know if that one of the above could be the problem. Thanks again.

Okay, here's some additional info I picked up regarding steering vibration:
"My 2003 had a vibration and a rubbing noise when I turned the steering wheel. There's a TSB on the issue I had. They replaced the power steering fluid and I've never had the problem again. Not sure if it's the same thing you have, but it might be worth it to take it to a Ford dealer and have them check to see if your car had the power steering fluid TSB done to it."

Also here's two sites referenced
http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/Thunderbird/2003/

http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back