gps units

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone put a gps unit into their bird. i'm looking for recommendations. i would prefer an automatic turn by turn talking unit.

------------------
Gary L Henkel

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

glh, Go slow when choosing a gps system. I am having the atroad system remvoved from our fleet of trucks due to very poor performance in my area. Have whoever your dealing with give you names and phone numbers of companies with their systems and follow up with them. Also make sure the cancelation terms is at least 60 days, 80 days is even better. The technology is going thru growing pains right now and service is not as advertised in any system. Its kind of like mobile phones in the 80's everybody said they would work anywere around town but guess what they forgot to tell you where you live there's a dead area, but it should be working in 6 months so don't cancel. Seen it all / tried it all, go slow and believe about 20% of what they tell you.

agreed. i have a magellan handheld that is ok on a hiking or jogging trail but useless in the car. a friend just bought an infinity which has one of the alpine systems, and the one trip we went on it was beautiful and worked flawlessly. but it was one trip where we knew where we going anyway. i've also heard good reports on the magellan system that hertz has installed in their rental units. but i do intend to preview each before i make a decision. until then, mapquest.

I used the Magellan system in a Hertz car on a business trip in upper New York. The system was wonderful and can get as detailed as you want. I found it very easy to use and very helpful, the real time tracking was amazingly accurate.

For the past several years I have used the Garmin Street Pilot. It has a fairly large screen and either sits on the dash using a bean bag mount or attaches with a swivel mount using velcro. I move it between cars and have used it in my T-Bird, Model "A" Fords and Yukon. The model that I have uses beeps with written messages to alert you of turns. A later model uses voice commands. The unit as sold contains all Interstate and State roads. I bought the additional mempory board and the Map Source Roads & Recreation CD. This shows all roads, including some dirt lanes. I program my trip in my PC, then down load it in to the Street Pilot. I have used it on trips from Pennsylvania to Texas. It works great and I do not leave home with out it.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

thanks for your reply. that's one i was considering. where in pa. are you? i like your choice in birds (we went black also) but i'm intrigued by the rest of your vehicle list.

glh7767, I live in Revere. It is mid-way between Doylestown and Easton.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

wow. i'm in horsham, and i'm headed in a few minutes to doylestown to take my daughter to her tennis lesson. we'll have to get together sometime. would love to see your other vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back