Gas Mileage/Gas Gauge

Well, my perceived "bad" gas mileage was all in my head. Took her out for a spin today after filling her up. Did about 80 miles and the gauge barely inched off of full. Seems like I reset my trip meter to Zero after having rode around last time, for whatever reason because now I'm falling in line with the mileage of everyone else in the thread.

stupid_head.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi.
I don't know what my car gets for mileage, its not important. All I know is when I step on the gas, it goes!
If I was worried about economy I would be driving a Prius!

This is related but want to know if anyone else has had a problem with the gas gauge accuracy. I recently purchased a 2003. Upon delivery it had a full tank of fuel according to the gauge. It drove it over 150 miles before it budged from full. All of a sudden, when I was ar 270 miles the gauge dived to empty and the light came on. It took 17.8 gallons to fill the tank. Second tank I filled at 120 miles to calculate MPG. Third and most recent tank, 195 miles and still on full. Took 9.1 gallons or about 20 MPG which is OK, but the gauge is bugging me. I would trouble shoot it initially as a bad sending unit in the tank but want to know if others had experienced this as wall.

If mpg really truly matters you noughb the wrong vehicle.

The best comparison is between two or three identical cars, indentical in everyway & everything, driven on the very same highway during the same weather conditions. Otherwise there will be as many different results as there are people who participate in this thread.

I am asking about Fuel Gauge issues as it relates to the level of fuel in my tank at any one time. Has anyone had fuel gauge issues? Has anyone had issues with a fuel pump sending unit that controls the correct function of the fuel gauge? Could one of my fuel pumps be malfunctioning?

Trying to determine a fuel pump or Fuel gauge sending unit problem..This is related but want to know if anyone else has had a problem with the gas gauge accuracy. I recently purchased a 2003. Upon delivery it had a full tank of fuel according to the gauge. It drove it over 150 miles before it budged from full. All of a sudden, when the gauge said 1/2 tank or when I driven about 270 miles on the full tank, the gauge dived to empty and the light came on. It took 17.8 gallons to fill the tank. Second tank I filled at 120 miles to calculate MPG. Third and most recent tank, 195 miles and still on full. Took 9.1 gallons or about 20 MPG which is OK, but the gauge is bugging me. I would trouble shoot it initially as a bad sending unit in the tank but want to know if others had experienced this as wall. Has anyone had fuel gauge issues? Has anyone had issues with a fuel pump sending unit that controls the correct function of the fuel gauge? Could one of my fuel pumps be malfunctioning?

Had an issue with false fuel gauge readings in an I/O. Pulled the sender and found that much of it was made of steel which the humidity in the tank had rusted. Cleaned it and had no more trouble. It's what I would do. '04 Dixieflash

That is an easier fix than a pump. I can also get a new sender for under $90 if I need it.

Back