Fun morning -- ignition switch?

Gary Tayman

Gary Tayman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Nice day, decided to go out for breakfast. Took the Thunderbird. Came home, shut the motor off, and it wouldn't shut off! Tried and tried, motor would not stop. What to do? Drove it to my local shop, but still can't get out of the car for fear of jumping into reverse -- you're all Ford owners, you know. Blew the horn until someone came out. He stopped it by pulling out the coil wire.

This is a new ignition switch, but most likely made in China. I'm assuming it's the problem. I'll find out. I guess no car shows this weekend, it's supposed to rain anyway . . .

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If it has an ignition coil, then you remove the ignition wire on the coil and splice in a wire to the inside of the vehicle to a toggle switch and then back to the coil. You switch off the ignition switch and flip the toggle switch to break the circuit to the coil and it kills the engine. Temporary fix to be able to go to the carshow.

Back