Fuel tank access port? 2005

D

dkat

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Do you have to remove the gas tank to replace the fuel level sensor in a 2005 Tbird? Or is there an access port under the trunk floor?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You can't access through the trunk. You have to push both seats full forward, pull speaker carpet back down to the floor level. You will then see 2 large black grommets about 4" in diameter. The one you want to take out is the one behind passengers seat. I used a long armed awl bent at the end and yanked for about 5 min. before finally getting it out. This is not an easy task. Go to autozone to rent the fuel pump removal tool. This will be your life saver. There is minimal space to get the fuel pump retainer ring off. I had to use my long extension and air wrench to loosen. I held the retainer tool in place while my buddy used the air wrench to finally get it off. Then reversal steps to put ring back on. Ford engineers obviously did not intend for the diy folks to do this. By the way.....replace the whole pump not just the level sensor. I had same problem and Ford dealer quoted me $1100.00 in parts and $600 labor. I bought new pump from Oreillys with lifetime warranty for $105. Total time to replace pump took about 4 hours. I am pretty good self mechanic as well as my buddy. Additionally for your info....2002-2005 fuel pumps are known to go out. Heres a video from youtube shows you the task at hand.
Hope this helps you. Lastly, did you check all your fuses first? Keep me informed on your progress.....Phil

Back