Fuel Gage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just spent the afternoon sitting on the 105 freeway in LA. 3 week old black thunderbird broken down. AAA finally came by to evaluate what was wrong. Car would not start. Fuel gage was at 1/4 tank, Low fuel indicator was NOT lit, fairly level roadway. They went ahead and put more gas in, just to make sure. Car fired right up first try. Guess I have to make a trip to Ford Service.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

DavidB Seems that way, don't know what to tell you right now. Let us know what happends.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

I know that on my long drive home after picking my car up in L.A. the fuel low light never came on, and the gauge was sitting on the red empty line. I should have filled it to see how empty it really was but didn't. But on my trip to Santa Barbara with TR, the light came on just under 1/4 tank?? I normally dount let it get that low now. I guess I will let it go again and see what happens. i know from the way past that Ford had a problem with fuel sending units in the trucks, but I think should have been fixed long a go. Lets hope that is all that goes wrong.

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

My guess is something other than fuel. Usually after running system dry it takes a little time to pump new fuel supply form the tank. Purely a guess but the cool down while waiting for AAA may have corrected the problem (temporarily)...problem maybe electrical in nature.

------------------
Charlie
Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent
Built but not delivered
VIN 12778

DavidB,

I tend to agree with charliefed about the car starting on the first try, if it was truly out of gas it would have taken several cranks to get the fuel pumped up to the engine.

Back in the good(?) ol' days when a couple of pennies/gallon and an extra mile/gallon made a difference, I ran out of gas a couple of times and even with priming the carb it would take several tries to get it started. One of the vehicles even had an electric fuel pump that was not dependant on the engine turning over to perform the pumping function.

The trip to the dealer sounds in order.

BTW I usually go 275 - 300 miles on a tank in city driving before refilling.

-

I agree that in the good old days it took several cranks to fire the beast back up after running out of gas, but today with electric pumps in the fuel tank, gas is pumped to the fuel injectors in just a second or two. With the old cars the manual pump had to suck the gas up from the tank and then fill the bowl or bowls of the carburator. Comparing todays fuel system with yesteryears fuel systems is like comparing computers of today with those of the seventies. No comparison.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Lon, I think I read in the owners book that if you run out of gas you may have to try to crank the motor over a couple times to get it to start. You also can screw something up in the computer that may have to be reset by the dealer.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

On my '98 F250 I installed switches to break the circuit to the fuel pump(xtra theft protection). I forget to flip em back on, oldtimers disease, and the engine always starts up even though I burned all the fuel in the injection system.
Sounds more like a gremlin in the computer or some other component of the FI system.

------------------
'56 TBird '02 NM Bird
'98 F250 4X4 SCab
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

had the first oil change today, and while up on the rack took a look around with about half the mechanics in the dealership. One thing of interst is the fuel tank. the drive shaft goes right threw the middle of it. it is plastic and is mounted just in front of the rear end. It's shape is like a saddle, only connected at the top. i was also told that there is a fuel pump in both sides. One pump just for transfering the fuel to the the other side and then that pump to the engine. if you can look under there, from the rear, you can see the back of it just above the rear "U-joint" if you can call it that. being plastic, its just flat black and on both side of the drive line. john

------------------

-

Howlee, did you notice any damage from the Twin Dolphin driveway scrape? [place we stayed on the Santa Barbara cruise with an unusually steep garage ramp]

their was one scrape on the right side, front cross member. it did no damage. but what i liked about the whole thing, was this "X" brace that is in the middle of the car is replacable. it looks if it got hit hard, it would take about 30 minutes to replace. It didn't feel like it was made out of a thick piece of steel, so it may happen to someone. I know its there for frame stifness, but it also protects the unibody from being hit on those high entrances to parking lots that are out there.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back