Fuel Economy-Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
I just returned from a trip from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas, NV. Round numbers 525 miles each way. Total miles driven was 1117 miles. Fuel used was 47.6 gallons. That makes the avg 23.46 miles per gallon. On the way down there never drove over 80 mph. On the way home, never drove over 90 mph. Considering the stop and go in Vegas and the passing on the 2 lane stretches coming home 23 mpg isn't all that bad. Have to admit I drove the car hard on the way back.
Last time I drove to Las Vegas was in my PT Cruiser. Mileage was very comparable but the speed was easily 10 mph less on both legs of the trip.
I think darned good fuel economy for going as fast as one is comfortable driving.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I round tripped to Houston last week end, a little over 1000 miles. 1st tank was 25.7 MPG and the 2nd tank was 26.7 MPG. Drove about 5 over speed limit for the whole trip. So a lot of the trip was between 70 and 75 MPH. This was with hard top on and 2 people in the car.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359
Tag # 15AGAIN

I've averaged just over 21 for the first 2400 miles. It seems to be steadily improving. I'm satisfied
smile.gif

------------------
Charlie
VENUS, a Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent.
VIN 12778

Geesh I'm still maintaining the 13-15 mpg range. I don't see how there can be such a huge difference or why I'm the one with the crappy gas mileage.
frown.gif

I just passed 1000 miles on the car yesterday...averaging about 16 mpg (all city driving, no trips yet - car is six weeks old)...hoping it will improve as car breaks in

I haven't taken mine around town but when we made the trip from York Pa. to Sebring Fla. and back we had about 1000 miles on the car and drove I-95 most of the way at 75 to 85 mph. We adv. 25 mpg. I thought that was pretty good for a new car driving at those speeds.
biggrin.gif

TBLover--is that highway driving? I'm getting about 18-ish just making the 10 mile one-way trip to work (the higher mileage figures come from extended road trips).

HeelBird-13 to 14ish is daily driving across town, 15-16ish is highway/interstate driving. I finally quit checking the gas mileage...but don't think anything has improved as it still takes $25-27 every 5 days. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.
smile.gif

In the city, no freeway driving, just stop and go, I get 11.5-12.5 mpg. This is really poor, but my wife and I are both kind of heavy footed in the car because we like the way it goes. I got 19 mpg on a virtually all highway trip of 175 miles one-way to Dallas. This is pretty poor mileage, too, but I spent thirty minutes idling on the LBJ freeway waiting for a wreck to be cleared. I drove at 75-80 mph nearly all the way, but on a lonesome stretch I had it up to 125 briefly. (It's great to feel the car downshift and slap you back in the seat when you floorboard it at 100.)

Don't know, don't care how many miles per gallon I'm getting. It's the smiles per mile that count and I have not found an accurate way to measure them. I bet this car gets 100 smiles per mile plus. Those Japanese rice grinders won't even come close to that figure. If Consumer Reports would measure the smiles, the T-Bird would be in at least the top 3 if not the # 1 position hands down.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I'm with Lon O'Connell, don't know, don't care when it's empty I fill it. ENJOY

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back