Fuel Additive | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Fuel Additive

• Thread starter Thread starter George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Passed Away July 25, 2015
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Just thought I would post this for anyone that may be of interested.

I found out the hard way about the new E85 fuel and what it does to small engines with carbuerators.
E85 is basically a solvent that's in our fuel and it actually cleans the inside of gas tanks and sends the junk into the Carb and thus fouls it. I had to have my boat pulled out, re-serviced after three weeks and returned because of this, to the tune of $470.

To prevent this there is an enzyme additive from most auto stores. Either Startron or Soltron or Stacon will do. As I understand it E85 also attracts moisture into the tanks, which also is not good for engines.

So I added it to the boat, Datsun 280Z, John Deere mower, trimmer, chain saw and TBird. If I had a snow blower I'd add it there as well, to be proactive.

Friends of mine are also having similar issues with antique and classic cars. So it's not just small engines.

From what I understand it is not an issue with fuel injected engines, but I don't think you should take that chance. Be proactive.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, Stabil will keep your fuel fresh. However, the other additives are especially for the E85 gas and small engines. In fact, many boats are having serious problems with it eating the plastic or composite gas tanks. That's why it's smart to use it. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons.
Antiquers have found it is cleaning the fuel lines and tanks of their cars and clogging the carbs. After all E85 is actually a solvent.

Solvent.....

Yes, Stabil will keep your fuel fresh. However, the other additives are especially for the E85 gas and small engines. In fact, many boats are having serious problems with it eating the plastic or composite gas tanks. That's why it's smart to use it. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons.
Antiquers have found it is cleaning the fuel lines and tanks of their cars and clogging the carbs. After all E85 is actually a solvent.

Reminds me of the old days when we used carbon tetra chloride as
a solvent.....would clean anything! I think they took it off the
market along with DDT.
E85....better keep it out of my 1972 Buick Skylark 350 Sport Coupe.

Reminds me of the old days when we used carbon tetra chloride as
a solvent.....would clean anything! I think they took it off the
market along with DDT.
E85....better keep it out of my 1972 Buick Skylark 350 Sport Coupe.

Birdhouse, It's okay to use in your '72. I have a '76 280Z and as long as you use 1 teaspoon of Stacon or Startron for every 5 gallons, no problem.

My John Deere dealer was warning me about the fuel and increased servicing, until I showed him the container - I said nothing and just let him read the bottle - His response was, wow, we didn't know that was available. It will save our customers a lot on service calls and us time. As a dealer, they have adopted it for all tractors.

Just thought I would post this for anyone that may be of interested.

I found out the hard way about the new E85 fuel and what it does to small engines with carbuerators.
E85 is basically a solvent that's in our fuel and it actually cleans the inside of gas tanks and sends the junk into the Carb and thus fouls it. I had to have my boat pulled out, re-serviced after three weeks and returned because of this, to the tune of $470.

To prevent this there is an enzyme additive from most auto stores. Either Startron or Soltron or Stacon will do. As I understand it E85 also attracts moisture into the tanks, which also is not good for engines.

So I added it to the boat, Datsun 280Z, John Deere mower, trimmer, chain saw and TBird. If I had a snow blower I'd add it there as well, to be proactive.

Friends of mine are also having similar issues with antique and classic cars. So it's not just small engines.

From what I understand it is not an issue with fuel injected engines, but I don't think you should take that chance. Be proactive.

George E85 is not an additive it is an alternative fuel . E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. It is safe to use in almost any vehicle. The only difference between a "real" E85 Flex Fuel Vehicle and a non FFV is the computer set-up , sometimes an extra oxygen sensor and sometines larger injectors. .. this is why it only costs the auto Industry less than $100 to make any vehicle on their production line a flex fuel vehicle.

Running E85 in a vehicle that has run nothing but dirty sludgy gasoline for years.. yes it wil clean out your tank thats full of sludge and plug your fuel filter..(it's actually the gasoline byproducts that are clogging your filter not E85) thats why it is recommened to change tyour fuel filter after 500 miles or so when switching to E85.

After that cleaning you wont have any more issue.. E85 is 105 Octane

George E85 is not an additive it is an alternative fuel . E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. It is safe to use in almost any vehicle. The only difference between a "real" E85 Flex Fuel Vehicle and a non FFV is the computer set-up , sometimes an extra oxygen sensor and sometines larger injectors. .. this is why it only costs the auto Industry less than $100 to make any vehicle on their production line a flex fuel vehicle.

Running E85 in a vehicle that has run nothing but dirty sludgy gasoline for years.. yes it wil clean out your tank thats full of sludge and plug your fuel filter..(it's actually the gasoline byproducts that are clogging your filter not E85) thats why it is recommened to change tyour fuel filter after 500 miles or so when switching to E85.

In Northwest Indiana E85 is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than 87 octane. I'd think if it's true most cars can use it there would be widespread publicity pointing this out. Here's a list of vehicles that can use it for sure...
http://www.renewe85.com/FFVlist2007.pdf

Hi e85prices:
I absolutely agree with you and went back and re-read all posts. I cannot find where I said that e85 itself was additive.
I did however, entitle this thread as "Additive", because I wanted to get peoples attention and thought it was important to pass along data to those who have small engines and carbuerators, and what e85 does to them.
The additive I speak about is an enzyme treatment which is clearly presented in post #1.
It also offers some issues friends of mine had with their antique cars, which has now been solved for them with the use of this treatment. I finalized by saying that I believe fuel injected engines are not an issue.
Finally, I have a fellow who works for me that has a boat and his Marina mechanic suggested he change out the plastic (or whatever composite material it is) before it started to eat away at it and cost him real problems. This I do not understand, but again, just want to pass along info so people can make informed decisions.

Last edited:
In Northwest Indiana E85 is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than 87 octane. I'd think if it's true most cars can use it there would be widespread publicity pointing this out. Here's a list of vehicles that can use it for sure...
http://www.renewe85.com/FFVlist2007.pdf

There is widespread knowledge quickdraw..

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/

The auto Industry wants you buying NEW flex fuel vehicles not converting your vehicle (with either a conversion kit..they simply leave the injectors on for few milliseconds longer or by adding larger fuel injectors or increasing fuel pressure and or through software tunes )..

Keep in mind the Model T ran on Ethanol.. Most of America was rural and could simply make their own fuel.. It isnt a big deal to run on ethanol then or now .

In the 1970s during the oil embrago Ethanol caught on and made a run as Gasohol but they soon discovered that ethanol and rubber, cork gaskets and some metals did not get along .. so over the years since then all those parts have been changed to ethanol resistant parts . Ethanol is already added in over 1/2 the gasoline as those mandates came about so did even more scrutiny by the Industry to make certain everything was ethanol compatible

I am the Founder of

E85Prices.com
E85Vehicles.com

Hi e85prices:
It also offers some issues friends of mine had with their antique cars, which has now been solved for them with the use of this treatment. I finalized by saying that I believe fuel injected engines are not an issue.
Finally, I have a fellow who works for me that has a boat and his Marina mechanic suggested he change out the plastic (or whatever composite material it is) before it started to eat away at it and cost him real problems. This I do not understand, but again, just want to pass along info so people can make informed decisions.

Yes absolutely George .. Antique Vehicles that may be using rubber/cork etc.

And Aluminum on Boats has been an issue with Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.