Ford Engineer | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Ford Engineer

• Thread starter Thread starter sauernote
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S
I have complained to my dealer (Pasadena Ford) on two occasions about "cowl shake" and the scratches on the "sail panel" from the hard top. An engineer from Ford is going to look at the car next Monday (Feb. 3rd), and I was wondering if there are any other items that I should mention? Any other cronic problems that people are having that I could ask about?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by sauernote:
I have complained to my dealer (Pasadena Ford) on two occasions about "cowl shake" and the scratches on the "sail panel" from the hard top. An engineer from Ford is going to look at the car next Monday (Feb. 3rd), and I was wondering if there are any other items that I should mention? Any other cronic problems that people are having that I could ask about?

Please keep us posted on the engineer's findings.

------------------
TBird2003
03 Torch Red with Perf. White Top and Full Red Accent
1996 4.6L Mustang GT Conv. with performance enhancements

-

I just got back from my Ford dealer after leaving the car for a Ford engineer to test drive. (See first post above).Unfortunately, I was unable to talk to the engineer personally but did talk to the shop foreman who also went on the test drive. They found that one cross-member bolt was very slightly loose but felt that the vibrations were normal for this type of car. The foreman and I took an '03 out for comparison which seemed tighter to me, but to them, my car was the same as the '03. I guess the bolts need to be checked from time to time. On my ride home (with the tightened bolt), I thought the ride was a bit tighter over rough spots in the road.

Because I left the hard top off to show them the paint abrasions on the rear deck, they couldn't comment on the excessive creaking and groaning of the hard top. The engineer recommended that they install a "squeak and rattle kit" next time I bring the car in with the hard top on. As I understand it, this is some kind of peel and stick type of material that attaches to the rubber gasket of the hard top itself, not on the deck. They said it does not have to be replaced every time like the clear tape. When I asked if the clear tape would still be necessary, there was some hemming and hawing. Finally, they said that the tape would be a good idea, too. I guess I'll try the squeak and rattle kit, because they said that it can be removed if necessary.

Side note: they had a 007 bird in the showroom. I didn't like it at all. Maybe it looks better with Haily Berry driving it.

This is the first i am hearing about the sqeak and rattle kit. is that all there is to it? or is there adjustments that can be made to the clamps at the back of the top?

As far as I know, there are no adjustments that can be made to the clamps. If and when I have the "squeak and rattle kit" installed, I'll report back to the forum.

By the way,Haily Berry did not want the corral colored car she was driving. She got a black TBIRD instead.

HKS

Originally posted by sauernote:
I just got back from my Ford dealer after leaving the car for a Ford engineer to test drive. (See first post above).Unfortunately, I was unable to talk to the engineer personally but did talk to the shop foreman who also went on the test drive. They found that one cross-member bolt was very slightly loose but felt that the vibrations were normal for this type of car. The foreman and I took an '03 out for comparison which seemed tighter to me, but to them, my car was the same as the '03. I guess the bolts need to be checked from time to time. On my ride home (with the tightened bolt), I thought the ride was a bit tighter over rough spots in the road.

Because I left the hard top off to show them the paint abrasions on the rear deck, they couldn't comment on the excessive creaking and groaning of the hard top. The engineer recommended that they install a "squeak and rattle kit" next time I bring the car in with the hard top on. As I understand it, this is some kind of peel and stick type of material that attaches to the rubber gasket of the hard top itself, not on the deck. They said it does not have to be replaced every time like the clear tape. When I asked if the clear tape would still be necessary, there was some hemming and hawing. Finally, they said that the tape would be a good idea, too. I guess I'll try the squeak and rattle kit, because they said that it can be removed if necessary.

Side note: they had a 007 bird in the showroom. I didn't like it at all. Maybe it looks better with Haily Berry driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back