For Sale 1981 Shay 55 Thunderbird Replica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Am selling my 1981 Shay Thunderbird replica. For those not familiar with the breed it is NOT a kit car but a fiberglass recreation of the 1955 Thunderbird factory built by the Shay Motors Corporation of Battle Creek Michigan. Under license from Ford they were to be produced to highlight the 25th birthdate of the TBird and displayed in and sold through Ford dealership networks. Inability to meet customer demands resulting in lawsuits forced the Company to close its doors after producing only 25 vehicles.

My car was built in 1981 near the end of the run but is titled as a 1955 Ford. It has power rack and pinion quick ratio steering and power front disc brakes, with all mustang II front suspension. The body is of high quality heavy fiberglass construction sitting on a rectangular steel tube chassis. The car received an update in 2006 with a gorgeous blue metallic two stage paint and the installation of a 5.0 EFI engine and T5 manual transmission along with a 9 in custom width rear axle with 3.5 ratio differential. A custom dual exhaust system from the short tube headers back was installed and appears like new.

After purchase I had the vehicle professionally inspected and any steering, suspension and braking components were serviced or replaced as necessary including hard and soft lines. The car comes with a matching paint Thunderbird removable hardtop with portholes.

The paint has a cpl very minor flaws as may be expected but is stunning and never fails to attract attention and compliments wherever it is seen and the car runs, drives, goes and stops as well as it looks. I am looking for offers in the 17-18k range and may be open to interesting trades of equal value but no Chevrolets, rust or projects lol. Have posted pics and have more if requested.
55tbird2a.JPG55tbird2.JPG55tbird2b.JPG55tbird3.JPG55tbirdfrnt.jpg55tbird5a.JPG55tbird14.JPG55tbirdeng2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in central Ohio. Hard to really define interesting but chances are if it falls within the above parameters and you find it interesting, I probably will too. I find most of us car guys are on much the same wavelength. Thanks for your interest.

Very cool. First I've ever heard of these.

Ok, I’m not all that far away in western N.Y. we just bought a challenger over in Cleveland area so not opposed to travel. I’ve really been wanting a 57 like my dad had when I was a kid but I find yours tastefully done. Let me think on it

I’m even later than “deliberatepace”! Is this car sold?

I'm in central Ohio. Hard to really define interesting but chances are if it falls within the above parameters and you find it interesting, I probably will too. I find most of us car guys are on much the same wavelength. Thanks for your interest.
Im now the owner of this car and would love to connect!

Hi J, car isnt currently for sale, I was trying to connect with @55bluebird who I believe did the original overhaul and I had a few questions for him. It went from Ohio, to Kentucky and now Los Angeles. It looks a little different now....a little lower and different wheels.
tbird.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im now the owner of this car and would love to connect!

Hi J, car isnt currently for sale, I was trying to connect with @55bluebird who I believe did the original overhaul and I had a few questions for him. It went from Ohio, to Kentucky and now Los Angeles. It looks a little different now....a little lower and different wheels.
Try sending a direct message. THey've not been on here since 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back