Flowkooler water pump

GWDANK
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
I recently purchased a 1956 t bird. And of course it is overheating. Has anyone used the high output flowkooler water pump?

Thank you
George

Moderator Update- here is a good overheating thread-

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one in my ‘64 and it works great, but it’s not a cure all for other problems. Your radiator could be plugged or partially blocked, you block and heads could be full of “mud” or even cracked.......I’d first have a professional system flush and pressure check, and system inspection to find reason for overheating.

I have one in my ‘64 and it works great, but it’s not a cure all for other problems. Your radiator could be plugged or partially blocked, you block and heads could be full of “mud” or even cracked.......I’d first have a professional system flush and pressure check, and system inspection to find reason for overheating.
Thanks for the reply. I already ordered a 4 core radiator, wide mouth thermostat, 1 in smaller pulley and a new spacer machined differently. I will try the flowkooler water pump as well. Once all is installed, I will report back. The car does AC with a electric fan but still gets hot. Hopefully when all is installed I'm much cooler.

Hi, I looking at fitting a hiflow water pump on our 57, has anyone had used a FlowKooler (hiflow) brand pump ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Lionel

I put the highest flow water pump Summit sold on my 289 Mustang it did not make any difference. W/r to the T-Birds, I am considering the modified impeller water pump that some of the suppliers sell and is reported to make a significant difference in cooling. The stock T-Bird water pump essentially moves no water at idle speed because of the very large space between the impeller and the engine block. This space is due to the unique to the T-Bird spacer that the water pump is mounted on. I would put one of these redesigned water pumps on my 312.

I put the highest flow water pump Summit sold on my 289 Mustang it did not make any difference. W/r to the T-Birds, I am considering the modified impeller water pump that some of the suppliers sell and is reported to make a significant difference in cooling. The stock T-Bird water pump essentially moves no water at idle speed because of the very large space between the impeller and the engine block. This space is due to the unique to the T-Bird spacer that the water pump is mounted on. I would put one of these redesigned water pumps on my 312.
Hi, thanks for that, I have been doing some research on various suppliers webb sites and found Macs Autos sell a stainless plate/housing to fit behind the pump and in front of the spacer basically encasing the impeller but this leaves a gap between it and the spacer, I‘m not really sure about that. I think like you the modified pump is my choice.

Hi, I have not seen the pump you mention. As I see it, the key to the whole pump issue is to close the gaps in the pump so that all of the water that enters the pump is moved by the impeller to leave the pump (no large clearances in the pump). The pump I was referencing has an "extended" impeller to fill the space caused by the spacer. I am pretty sure that Larry's and Hills, Casco, etc. sell them.

One of the big issues with cooling any car is to increase the air flow through the radiator. In the T-Bird, it has been shown (but I can't find the article now) is that a backpressure builds up in the engine compartment thus reducing the flow of air through the radiator. Wind tunnel tests have been performed on the T-Bird, I am going to look some more for the article. That being the case, a more efficient radiator would be an effective solution. an aluminum radiator may be a part of the solution..

Good thread about overheating-

Back