Extra key with no chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
J
I routinely run errands and leave the top down when I park. I keep my mailbox key and garage remote in the glove compartment which is usually locked. It is kind of a pain though when you get home and have to turn the car off in the driveway so you can use the key to get the garage remote out. So I went to a local locksmith and got a key that does not have the security chip inside made (less than $5). It solves the problem described above and it also will allow me keep the stereo on while parked without worry that someone could drive off in the car if I am not constantly watching. If you try to start the car with this key nothing happens. The locksmith warned me not to try it because it could lock up the system and not allow the regular key to work (for about 15 minutes he thought). Does anyone know more details of the "No Start" condition described in the owners guide?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back