Emergency Brake Light Stays On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a 2002 T-Bird (turquoise with turqouise and black interior)that I got myself for Christmas in Dec of 2001. It now has about 5700 miles on it, and from the first week I had it, the emergency brake light will go on for no apparent reason and stay on while I'm driving the car. The circuitry that controls this light has been replaced at no charge by 2 different Ford dealership service departments, but it's STILL coming on! Does anyone else see this phenomenon while driving their new T-birds? I know the light goes on intially when first starting the car, and yes, mine does go out after initial ignition after a few seconds. However, when I drive and park, drive and park,(with no engagement of the emergency brake) invariably the light will come on and stay on. It's making me crazy!
Thanks for your help or words of wisdom,
Char
San Jose, CA

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Char:
Mine is a 2002 as well and I've had it for 1 1/2 year. Have not had that problem nor have I heard of it on any of the forums.
It sounds as though they should replace the switch. It could be super sensative.

Hi George,
Thanks so much for your reply and suggestion. The switch has been replaced by the dealership...twice now. They keep assuring me that even though the light is constantly on, it's safe to drive. It's just annoying to see that bright red light constantly on,and have your passengers comment..."what does that red light mean and why are you ignoring it?"
I still love my car, and other than this little annoyance, it's fabulous!
Char

My experience in the past when I was a Service Advisor for a Ford dealerbrings to mind the 3 most common reasons for the light being on. # 1 - (most unlikely) emergency brake handle not completely released, # 2 - brake fluid level low (only takes about a tablespoon low to turn light on), # 3 - Brake Master Cylinder Low Brake Fluid level sensor faulty. Of course there is a slew of other reasons, these are just the most common three.

Thanks, Lon!
I'll call my Service Advisor and suggest having them take a look. I read on another T-Bird message board some of the owners were having a problem with the master cylinder fluid leaking, and maybe that may be happening with mine as well. Better safe than sorry...I'll have them check it out.
Thanks!
char

Charm: Regarding leaking master Cylinder:

It's a Good idea to check it. The top (cover) of my master brake cylinder was leaking and it was replaced at last service.

To check; Open hood, then from the front look towards the steering wheel. To the right you'll see a white plastic container (up near the black plastic cowling by the wipers) with a black cap. This cap has writing on it that says "brake fluid" plus other things. If the white rectangular top that the cap sits on has a yellow fluid around the edges, it is leaking. I have seen three others with this same condition.
The dealer replaced it with part number FMC XW4C 2162 CA. They called it a Cap ASY-BRK M/CYL FI.
Part and labor $18.86, under warranty.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back