Drop Shipment thru another dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a car from a dealer in Seattle for delivery thru a dealer in Arizona. Can someone tell me how this will work? Will I pay the selling dealer or the delivery dealer? Which dealer gets the MSO and when do they get it......before delivery or with the car?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I purchased by car from a dealer in New York and finally worked it out to have it dropped shipped to a dealer here in Dallas/ Ft Worth. Getting the dealer to do it was a challenge. In my case, the MSO will go to the selling dealer and when the funds are wire transferred to him, he will overnight the MSO to the delivering dealer here. The local dealer says he will release the car to me when as soon as it gets here and I show proof of inusrance and pay Texas sales tax and registration. They will inspect it and get my tags for me.

Niether my selling or delivery dealer can tell where the car actually is or even when it was shipped. They tell me it was built on 11-19 and they think it was shipped on 11-21 and had an ETA here of 12-10. A friend of mine is a Lincoln/ Mercury Service writer and he told me that something about drop-shopped cars throws the Ford tracking sytem into utter chaos and they cannot track it like standard delivery cars.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Dallas02Bird:
A friend of mine is a Lincoln/ Mercury Service writer and he told me that something about drop-shopped cars throws the Ford tracking sytem into utter chaos and they cannot track it like standard delivery cars.

Good luck.

Your friend is silly. Let's use some logic here, do you think that Ford Motor Company is just going to float 40,000 cars around the U.S. without knowing where it is? Can anyone say Floorplan? ;-) I assure you, if the car is on rail and on a car carrier, they know exactly where and when it will be delivered. Heck, they've got those things now and can track the semi trucks.

TBird

My car's being drop shipped to California. I got a letter from my NJ dealer giving me the details for the transfer [which was arranged at the time of purchase].
As soon as the car leaves the plant, we should receive our invoice and MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) from Ford. When this occurs, you could wire the balance of funds, and we would subsequently overnight our package to Dave at Towne Ford. [my hometown dealer] Dave could then proceed with the motor vehicle work for you, and the car would show up a few days later. Hopefully California uses temporary registrations like we do in NJ. If so, you should be able to drive away (or should I say "fly" away???) as soon as Dave completes the pre-delivery service.

I'll be paying a visit to the dealer tomorrow to make final arrangements. I recommend this procedure to anyone in a 'high markup' region of the country.

is the car being shipped to CA a 50 state car or a 49 state one? or maybe a better question would be is ford building one or two cars that meat different emission's. One for Calif and one for all others>
Originally posted by tr cruiser:
My car's being drop shipped to California. I got a letter from my NJ dealer giving me the details for the transfer [which was arranged at the time of purchase].
B]

As it happens, NJ's requirements match California's [NJ's vehicle code refers to California statutes]. I'm not sure which states conform, but those that do not may require emissions equipment upgrades upon registration. Conversely, extra dealer prep may be needed to remove control devices when drop shipping to less restrictive states. I think most dealers who routinely drop ship know the details.

If memory serves, all 2002 Thunderbirds are built to California emissions standards regardless of destination.

------------------
Jim Williams
'98 Lincoln Continental & waiting for red/red/blk #2 of 2 premium Bird (also Vin-less)

Jawill-

That is correct-all Thunderbirds are built to match California's CARB regs.

Fortunately, the cat-back exhaust systems that are being designed by Borla meet the CARB emissions laws.

------------------

My vehicle order confirmation lists
-22 CALIF EMISSIONS NC
as a separate line item [first digit runs off page.]

Are CAFE numbers based on an average for all 50 states? If so, I don't think Ford would want to have CA emission controls on every car distributed.

RDH It's a no-charge option.

------------------
Jim Williams
'98 Lincoln Continental & waiting for red/red/blk #2 of 2 premium Bird (also Vin-less)

In California, it's a pain in the neck for people who physically buy their cars out of the state.

I'm a California resident who bought my car in Kentucky and drove it back home. I made sure that I asked my dealer to order the California emissions package, and indeed it is a "no charge" option. In California, if you purchase a car out of the state and bring it in with less than 7,500 miles on it (I had 3,200), you are not allowed to register it, are not even allowed to retrofit it with CA emissions, and are told to immediately take the car back out of the state if you do not have the CA emissions equipment. I feel very bad for the people who are not aware of this.

When I registered the car last week, the DMV inspected the car to ensure that it had the CA emissions package. In addition, I actually had to leave the DMV office and go get the car smog-checked -- then go back to the DMV! An incredibly silly rule, the silliness of which was confirmed by the smog-check people, who said, "We hate this rule. It's a brand-new car, for cryin' out loud!"

Finally, whereas people who buy their new cars in California get a 4-year reprieve from getting the cars smog-checked, I get no such reprieve -- even though the car clearly was fitted with the CA emissions system!

Our state has some of the greediest DMV regulations in the country.
smile.gif

pbocciardi, sounds like a real pain in the a--. Pa. is going to start an emissions control program in the next year or so but right now it is a joke. They tried it two years ago but the whole thing fell through even though they had the inspection stations built and ready to go.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293

Paula, sounds like you ran into the bureaucracy headon.
frown.gif
My dealer asked for a photocopy of my driver's license and insurance info and says my car will be fully registered to drive off the lot. I think this is the way drop ships usually work. I may still have to visit the DMV to transfer my personal plates, but hopefully can avoid the smog check nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back