Driving Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks-

looked through the archives, and couldn't find enough info. For those of you who are already on the lucky end (recieved your baby), what is the max height for comfortable vision and driving position? I'm okay in my LS, but an XK-8 coupe is kinda claustrophic.

How will my red bird be?

Grogdog

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

biggrin.gif
grogdog, well I'm only 5'11. My head does rub when getting into the car but once in I am ok. Snug as a bug in a T-Bird.

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

I, too, am about 5'11". Headroom is snug, but I compensate with the seat tilted and reclined to just the right angle. Steering wheel is programmed to come all the way out as well as fully down. Nice cocoon setup.

I am also 5'11'' when I first got the Bird II would hit my head. I have learn to dip my head more when getting in and out, this works find until my wife drives and changes the seat position.

grogdog,

I'm 6'2" tall and I have found that if I keep the seat in it's lowest position, move the seat forward, tilt the back to the max tilt and then back the seat rearward until I have clearance at me knees I have no problem. Most times I have a ballcap on (for top down driving) and in the convertable it will just barely rub the top, if at all, depending on how I set the seat that day.

I do have to pay attention getting in when the wifey has driven the car though. So far I have only banged my head a couple of times.

When you get some info on you car, please see my post "VINs/Dates/Destinations II".

-

speaking of driving position, in my opinion, the rear view mirror should have been placed a few inches higher on the windshield. i find that the mirror creates quite a blindspot (particularly when i'm trying to wink at someone on the sidewalk
wink.gif
) but it also creates a blindspot for intersections and other practical applications.

anyone else find this?

I agree with both Jodrod and MNTbirdLA. I am about the same height as Jodrod and positioned my seat in a similar fashion. I fit and it's VERY comfortable that way. I also have the wheel in the full out position and down about the middle. The mirror is a bit low, but I don't think it would work any higher, considering the position of the read glass.

AT,

I know the "move" that you use to get into the car. When I got my '56 about 10 years ago, I learned really quickly how to lean forward, dip my head, and duck into the car. It was quite a trick to learn, in order to avoid a head-knock and at the same time missing the knee-knocker windshield. The same routine is used to get into the new car.

Originally posted by atcoles:
I am also 5'11'' when I first got the Bird II would hit my head. I have learn to dip my head more when getting in and out, this works find until my wife drives and changes the seat position.

You let your wife drive the car?
I don't get that at all.

confused.gif
My wife uses it as her dailey driver, I only get it on weekends.

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

I AM 6'3" AND CAN NOT SIT IN ANY COMFORTABLE
POSISTION IN THIS CAR. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY
GOOFED THIS BAD IN NOT MAKING THE CAR REAL COMFORTABLE FOR ANY ONE. I HATE THIS CAR AND WILL GET RID OF IT ASAP FOR THIS REASON.
KNEES IN THE DASH AND HEAD TOUCHING THE ROOF ARE MY ONLY OPTIONS.

I'm 6' 3 1/2" and I learned a long time ago back in bent in half butt first then swing the legs in a straighten up, I even have to do this in my '98 Linc continental, it's a habit you acquire to avoid knocking your brains out. BTW I clear both the rag and hardtop, wifey made me check to be sure.

------------------
Jim Williams
'98 Lincoln Continental waiting for red/red/std blk premium (#2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60E62Y111592)
Mass. tag JWBIRD Christmas gift from #3 daughter

-

Although my Bird has arrived, I won't be able to pick it up for a few weeks.
I am 6'2" 220 lbs, & my wife is 5'11". I have been concerned about getting in and out of the car - have yet to see one in person.
I have been driving SUVs & mini vans for the last 20 years. I have always wanted a T-Bird, ever since my neighbor had a 2 seater when I was a youngster.
A retired Ford salesman, who is about my size, told me that it is not a problem, that I will just have to learn how to approach it.

tongue.gif
Bum's Rush, I'm only 5'11 and I really have to bend my neck to clear the top. Same way in my 69 Vette and 73 MGB. But then I have a steel plate in my neck from a car accident. You just have to practace.

6' 1", 250lbs...

I had to adjust the driver's seat in a slight reclining position, lower the seat to its lowest position then tilt the front end of the seat up a couple of knotches.

The incline gives me about an inch of head room...

The only thing that bother's me is that I have thin blond hair that gets charged electrostatically.

A baseball cap is in order to avoid looking like I was in contact with a Vandergraft Generator.

Getting in and out is no problem; you learn in a hurry. However, at 6'2" and 210 I have to have the seatback reclined just about all the way and the seat is at its lowest position. My hair touches the headliner....just barely. It's just about like sitting in a '57 Bird! Not great for posture but its a Thunderbird!

I'm only 5'7", and my wife is 5'6", so the cockpit is a great fit for both of us. We find long hours of driving to be less fatiguing than any other car we have owned.

However, I did about knock myself senseless the first couple of times I got in the car. So tall people aren't the only ones who must adapt the way we enter the car. But isn't it well worth the effort???

Erict,

I did away with the baseball cap and started wearing one of those flat hats. I don't know what you call them, but a lot of golfers use to wear them. They don't add to your height like a baseball cap does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back