Door lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was "zainoizing" the T-bird this past weekend and noticed that there is no key lock on the passenger side of the car! Is this a new for thing Ford is doing since most cars have remote entry, or a cost saving measure? BTW...waxing this car was almost spiritual...my god, the lines on this car are beautiful!

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

this is the same feature on my 2001 Corvette. I beleive they think we now use remotes more than ever, and deleted the passenger side door lock. It's more pratical to punch the remote, than to use the door key.

------------------
2002 Thunderbird blue
2001 Corvette vert
2000 PT Cruiser
1968 Corvette roadster

I noticed the missing passenger door lock the first time I waxed mine, too. I had been driving it for about six weeks then. I haven't missed it since.

#9429 Blue, Blue, premium full accent

Almost every car I've purchased the last 7 years or so has not had a key lock on the passenger side. Guess that the remote entry feature is taking over.

------------------
2002 T-Bird Red/Red/Partial Red
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible

I know that my 2000 Mustang Convertible doesn't have a passenger side lock but didn't know the lack of them was so wide spread.

Always thought this was one of the Jacque cost cutting measires at Ford.

My Grand Cherokee doesn't have a passenger lock either. The remote makes it surpufulous and the only reason for the driver's lock is if the remote is missing or broken.

My '95 Eagle Vision and my current 2000 Chrysler Sebring all had/have trunk and passenger doors looks. Apparently Chrysler is a little slow at adopting this feature. I agree that the these locks a moot point, but it did come as a little bit of a surprise

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula

You guy's tweaked my interest and made me go out and look at some of my cars. My 1930 American Austin has a door lock on both handles! The 1938 American Bantam (the oldest Bantam in existence, Ser.# 0003) has a lock on the passenger side but not the drivers side. In those days the gentleman always opened the door for the ladies, but I don't know how he got in. That doesn't happen much any more, opening doors for ladies. Unfortunately, neither car came with a remote.

The 2002 Thunderbird DOES have a trunk lock cylinder. Just look behind the driver's seat. You need to know about it in case of having to jumpstart the bird. How else would you get to the battery?

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back