DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
When I got my BlueBird back in August, there was a small scracth on the steering wheel which the dealer said he would replace at the first service date. Well, the date came and they ordered the wheel. Wrong one sent. Last night they put the new correct one on. I watched for 10 minutes and couldn't stand the pain anymore. Not an easy job with no instructions. Half hour later my baby is waiting for me all fixed.

Ford wants all the old parts back! Guess they are watching quality control.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've noticed my steering wheel is a tad loose when I lean on it a bit. Anyone experiencing the same and can we have it tightened up easily?

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

RacerRoger speculates "Guess he didn't disconnect the battery."

I suspect he used a backup battery through the lighter socket to maintain your computer settings, etc. Removing a steering wheel and air bag without disconnecting the battery is foolish and dangerous - not to mention expensive!

Almost every shop has had an experience where someone set off the air bag in the service stall. It will make your "check underwear" light come on.

Originally posted by RedBirdDlx:
RacerRoger speculates "Guess he didn't disconnect the battery."

I suspect he used a backup battery through the lighter socket to maintain your computer settings, etc. Removing a steering wheel and air bag without disconnecting the battery is foolish and dangerous - not to mention expensive!

Almost every shop has had an experience where someone set off the air bag in the service stall. It will make your "check underwear" light come on.

I'm sure if the dealer he took it to services Lincolns, they are already aware of using a device to save computer settings.

TBird

Since the TBird is the same rolling stock as the LS I suspect the electricals function the same. Even if you disconnect the battery, the following systems maintain their memory:
1. Radio station presets, with the exception of the bass/treble/speed sensitive volume. It looks like they default but press any button and the presets return. Also the RDS function do get reset.
2. Seat memory. Again it looks like they default but press any button and the settings return.
3. Don't know if the Bird has a message center like the LS but if it does the mpg indicator gets zeroed out.

------------------
Brian Gowing
President/Founder
Lincoln LS Owners Club
www.llsoc.com

Appreciate the comments about the battery disconnect BUT, after I walked away, I heard alot of horn honking. I think the service tech likes to live dangerously as I did see him take off the air bag without disconnecting the battery. Would you believe that next stall had a fuel pump being replaced on an Explorer and it had a full tank of gas. Lots of Fumes.

Now you see why I couldn't watch anymore. Anyway, Alls well that end well. I think someone else said that.

On the contrary Rogerracer a empty tank has a full tank of fumes, but a full tank only has about an inch of fumes at the top above the gasoline. It is safer to work on a full tank rather than an empty tank.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back