Do it yourself Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

tongue.gif
I don't know where the filter is BUT I will let you know. I have about 700 mile on mine and plan to do my own oil changes, have for years and don't plan on changing that now. I will be changing it at 1200 mile. It's a dailey driver so it won't take too long to get the miles on for that. Will let you know how hard it is and how much of a pain in the a-- it is to get at.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

The oil change is very easy on this car.

I will put mine on plastic rhino ramps to get access to the drain plug and oil filter.
The filter is in the middle front of the engine. It is a horizontal mount and very accessable.
I plan on my first oil change when the KN filters are available, next month as GOBird has informed us.
Has anyone found any advantage to the synthetic blend that Motorcraft oil is selling?
I have always used a multiblend 5-30wt for the newer cars and on this engine will use either Valvoline or Castrol GTX 5-20.

------------------
'56 TBird '02 NM Bird
'98 F250 4X4 SCab
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

The filter is very accessible and changing oil is a snap. On the LS, the car hardly has to be off the ground. The filter is in the horizontal position and the there is nothing under it.The oil, when it losened, just runs onto the ground(in a pan). Be prepared, the filters are hard to find and are expensive($7-8). I order 2-3 at a time from my local parts store and they take 3-4 days to get. They are only available in the Motorcraft brand. I have not found a quick change oil place who has them or will try to get them.
Ed
Triple Black #4430

I have had a Ford dealership with quick oil change bays do mine. The first time, I asked if anthing would catch oil and make a mess. He invited me to go down in the pit to look at the underside. The filter and plug are really easy to get at. And as an added bonus, nothing interferes with the drain plug, or dripping oil from the filter, which means no mess!

We have all had some cars that had structural, hydraulic, or other items cross under the filter or plug. They would catch oil, and drip for days unless you wiped them all down by hand. Just another little reason I love this car!! The good stuff outweighs the few irritations (like visors) by a whole lot.

Regarding the filter... any lube shop that won't keep filters for this car is also turning away the LS. Seems kind of stupid to me.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium
Thunderbird Blue/Blue/Partial

rolleyes.gif
I did find an oil filter by Purolator # L15317 that is supposed to fit the Bird. Hope it does, but I always used Fram for years and they don't list one for the Bird or the LS. So this is what I bought. I will be using 5-20 w Pennzoil in my car.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

-

Gobird - Aren't you worried about voiding your warranty with out of spec viscosity?

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

wink.gif
as far as the oil changes go my dealer told me as long as I keep records and reciepts on buying the oil and filters I didn't have a problem. I've had 5 Birds and other Ford Trucks before this and have had on problem with warranty problems at all. This is just my experience with Ford. Hope this helps.

As far as viscosity the 5-20 IS what Ford calls for.
I did find a Fram filter for the Bird. It is EXTRA GUARD PH5618 but the only dealers around here,AutoZone and PepBoys , don't carry it. I can order it through Pep Boys but have to pay for it first. Guess this is what I will do. I will save my Purolator Filter for an emergency.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

-

What are your thoughts on NOT changing the filter with each oil change?

My ol' timer mechanic who works on my MG swears that new filters do more harm then good because they always have small fibers that getaway. He says change the filter every other time...

Gobird - sorry, I missread your post as 5w30. I must plead temporary insanity (I refuse to blame it on old age, failing eyesight, or short attention span!).

NuttyGambler - I haven't done the alternate oil change thing for 20 years. I did that in my youth, mostly to save money, and changed at 5000 mile intervals. Since changing at 3000 miles and always changing the filter, I haven't had a car that even used one quart between changes, even at 100,000 miles. Perhaps engines are better now, but I really thing the best thing is to do a complete change. I can't believe that a few small filter fibers are more harmful than dirty oil, or a reduced flow filter.

I believe I was told by a mechanic years ago that a plugged filter forces oil past the filter element (bypasses) causing dirty oil to be circulated. Anyone know more about this?

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium

A word of caution on oil and filter changes. Follow the owners manual and you shouldn't have any troubles. Don't rely on receipts to protect you if you have engine problems due to lack of lubrication or sludge. Those are not warrantable conditions - no matter how many receipts you have.

If you are not going to have your Ford/ LM dealer do the maintenance, ask your supplier of oil and filters, or your "quicky lube" shop for a copy of their warranty. That may be where you have to go if the products you use turn out to be inferior or defective.

I've seen lots of knocking engines that were oil starved due to lack of lubrication, had plugged filters, had sludged oil galleys, etc. but the customer had receipts. Sent them right back to their supplier - no Ford warranty. (Most knew they were negligent and that the receipts were bogus.)

Some had been duped by unscrupulous repair shops that didn't change the filters each oil change and used cheap oils. Not Ford's responsibility. Again, don't rely on receipts. Far better to have your dealership take care of it, if you are planning on keeping it. (It also helps if you are out of warranty and need special assistance on a repair, that you had your dealership do your maintenance.)

I've been doing my own tune-ups and oil changes since 1966 and have never had a bad filter/oil problem in 100's of thousands of miles.

I've seen and heard of such lousy work done by local dealers, I would NOT trust them washing
my car. They give the oil change to the new kid on the block and I for one have trusted my hands for nearly forty years. I have been to a few car fires because the new kid didn't know how, or care to change the oil correctly.

When I get so crippled I can't bend down to change my oil, I will have my son do it for me.

Warranty is only on paper,quality is abiltity and knowledge.

I have the Ford Extended warranty. In the past my problems with new vehicles have been, electrical, brakes, or power steering. With the cooling problems at the start of production, a new soft top with electrics and other new items in the Bird, this is where I think the warranty may end up protecting me.

If you are more comfortable with a dealer changeing oil and have a good one, that is great, something I have never had.

-

-

Originally posted by brooklynbum:
Has anyone attempted this? Where is the oil filter located and is it easy to replace?

Most oil change places with take coupons from competition. Do not change your own oil because you do not have a way to dispose of the oil properly and you only save a couple bucks if any by doing it yourself.

tbird,
I agree most quick lubes will accept others coupons, but for over 35 years I have disposed of my oil properly.

I used to keep an old 55 gal drum in my yard in the early 60's and recycled it with a local oil company.
In the US Air Force, I had the base hobby body and repair shops, where many low or under paid service men and women learned how to maintain their vehicles. We never harmed the environment.
Today over 30 years later, Checker Auto Parts will gladly take used motor oil.
Most Firefighters change their own oil. It is not uncommon nor does it harm the environment or void any warranty.
I do save money when I change my oil. I wash the undercarrage, check all hoses and other lubricants, rotate wheels and wash and wax the vehicles at every oil change.
My paint top and bottom always looks new, tires last 10-20 thousand miles longer, brakes , linkages,hinges etc. are always in top condition.

For me this is a hobby and a labor of love.

------------------
'56 TBird '02 NM Bird
'98 F250 4X4 SCab
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

When I worked for my Ford dealer as a Service Advisor one of the local Quick Lube's up the street (name un-mentioned) was good for 3-4 engine replacements for us each year. Sometimes they forgot to put oil back in or forgot to tighten the oil filter. I also change my own oil and recycle the oil where I work or sometimes go to the City of Amarillo's recycle center and dispose of the oil & filter properly there. I fill in the Maintenance Book in the Owners Manual, Sign it & date it. I also keep all the reciepts from where I purchased the oil & filter. I don't buy in quanities but rather buy on the same day as I change the oil so the dates will match up in the Maintenance book to the receipts. Takes a little extra time but keeps the paperwork straight and my car gets tender loving care that it would not receive at a quick lube.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Any thoughts on synthetic oil? My neighbor, an electrical engineer and car buff, told me to use synthetic oil. He has a Porsche and a Honda 2000 and as soon as the cars were broken-in he started using the synthetic oil. What do you think?

------------------
Triple Black
Premium

I'm still debating. When I had my '83 Mustang 5.0 engine rebuilt, I was told not to use synthetic in it until 5000 miles or it would never breakin and then switch to it. This topic has been debated before and it is about equal pro and con.

FD Captian. You have convinced me. This doctor will perform loving surgery and change his own oil. I agree about the minute lube places...I hate to say it, but if I wont let them drive my car, why would I let them work on it?. Thanks for your helpful advice. I too recycle oil at a local car dealer who is happy to help the environment (and I send him lots of business).

rolleyes.gif
Just a little story to tell here about oil change places. A really good friend of mine took his Volvo to a Jiffy Lub for an oil change. I ask him why, he has raced in SCCA for years and rebuilds his own engines. This guy knows what he is doing. He said at the time that he didn't have the time because of his work. On his way home from the Jiffy Lub he noticed the car was starting to knock and getting hot. What he found when he got home was a cross threaded drain plug and most of the oil had drained out of his car. Guess you know he TAKES the time to do it himself now.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back