Do 2003s need tape strips on Rear Deck? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Do 2003s need tape strips on Rear Deck?

• Thread starter Thread starter My Baby Blue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

My Baby Blue

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Hi,

I have a question. Am I suppose to use the tape strips on the rear deck of my 2003? The dealer never said anything about it. The interactive CD-ROM that came with the car doesn't talk about the tape strips at all. However, I found a box of the tape strips in the trunk.

Since I am a new member, (I just got her in March) I have tried to read all the past threads. I know the tape strips are used on the 2002s. I saw some speculation that the 2003s were going to have a chrome strip.

From what I can see, my 2003 has a thick rubber gasket between the hardtop and the deck. Is that what they have used to correct the scratch problem they are having with the 2002s?

I would appreciate any helpful information you may have on this subject.

Thanks,

My Baby Blue's Mommy

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Open the box with the tape strips. There should be a card in there that explains the purpose of the tape strips, and instructions for installation. The strips prevent the dirt and grit that builds up over time between the hardtop gasket and the deck from scratching the paint. Believe me, it will. There is no difference between how the hardtops seal against the deck from the '02 to the '03 models. Ford also advises you change the tape every 3 months or 3,000 miles.

I've done the tape installation twice now, and the only advice I'd give you is to place the tape on the deck so that almost 1/2 of the tape wraps around under the deck. That way, most of the tape doesn't even show, but you still get the protection. In the places where it shows, you wouldn't even see it unless you know it's there. Others have used a product from X-pel, their own tape, or no tape at all. I've found the Ford solution to work fine, even though it's a half-a55ed solution for a $40,000 automobile.

Hi!!
Yup...I do believe the strips are still needed on the new 03's.....The problem, as far as I know, hasn't been corrected. There was some thought, before the 03's came out, that there would be a chrome strip on the back, but I understand that didn't work. I will tell you, I think the strips are a bit of waste, but the top will probably scratch the deck without protection. Seems that "stuff" works it's way in under the rubber gasket, over time, with the way the top sets on the car, the "stuff" scratches the deck. You might consider another alternative. I have put x-pel on the deck and on the front end. It does not need to be replaced like the strips. Here's the web site, if it helps....

http://www.clearbra.com/products.as...s=0&year=2002&make=12&model=237&submodel=1946

hope this helps
deb

fun x 3 is correct ........if you want to protect the car one needs to use the mylar tape....and as fun x 3 said if you install half over and fold it under it wont show and the car will be protected. and dont worry about the bubbles there is no way to get them all out .trust me i have installed 14 of these due to my hardtop being installed and taken off ( dealership replaced under warranty so i didnt have to buy them)

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it very much. Has anyone else out there used the X-PEL product? My husband is afraid it might void my warranty. Their web site says it should last up to 7 years and is easily removed. Any comments?

I have xpel on the front end and the deck area. I've driven the car about 8,000 miles, much of it from Cleveland to Dallas and back. I know it would have multiple paint chips without the xpel covering. Unless you are looking for it, you wouldn't notice it. It was put on at my dealer by local installers who also have a birdand had the product on their own car. We created a huge sensation because everyone, from customers to employees wanted to know what it was and how it works. I've seen bras on cars. I don't like the look. Besides, a bra can get dirt and debris under it, work back and forth from the wind and scratch the front end, causing more damage that if it were off the car. Xpel can't do that because it has adhesive and sticks to the car. It can be removed without any problem at all. Any adhesive left comes right off, I believe with alcohol. Once removed, the x-pel cannot be put back on. You would need a new piece. It voids no warrenty any more than a bra would. I will honestly tell you, I think it is the best investment I made for the car. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back