Disc brake conversion 1957 14" wheels

Rust
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm looking for someone to do a disc brake conversion & everything that goes with it, to my 57. Can this conversion be done with 14" wheels? Or must I get 15" Wheels"\? Or has anyone done the conversions with 14 " wheels. I cant do the work, but I cant seem to fins a 14" conversion kit. Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm looking for someone to do a disc brake conversion & everything that goes with it, to my 57. Can this conversion be done with 14" wheels? Or must I get 15" Wheels"\? Or has anyone done the conversions with 14 " wheels. I cant do the work, but I cant seem to fins a 14" conversion kit. Thanks
I have a 1957. I converted to disc brakes in front and retain the original 14 inch wheels. I did need spacers to move the wheeels out slightly. I could have used later wheels designed for disc brakes and not used spacers. I retained original rear wheel cylinders. I use an adjustable valve for the rear wheels. I could have avoided that if I had installed 1955 rear wheel cylinders. I am happy with the conversion.

From my personal experience, whoever's system you select, get a written guarantee it will work with 14" rims. I was assured it would and, guess what? I'm now using 15" rims. After an unbelievable back and forth with the supplier.

Looking to convert my "56 with 15" steels and power brakes to front discs with a twin bowl master cylinder.
Yep .read Gils tech tips on conversion.
Any suggestions about a kit application? Found these in the Tbird parts houses, ebay even Amazon.
1. Do I get to keep the stock booster?
2 Change size of rear brake cylinders?
3 Use a "p" valve or change rear cylinder size?
4. Move the brake light to the pedal or keep the switch on the T valve?
Phil in Nashville

Looking to convert my "56 with 15" steels and power brakes to front discs with a twin bowl master cylinder.
Yep .read Gils tech tips on conversion.
Any suggestions about a kit application? Found these in the Tbird parts houses, ebay even Amazon.
1. Do I get to keep the stock booster?
2 Change size of rear brake cylinders?
3 Use a "p" valve or change rear cylinder size?
4. Move the brake light to the pedal or keep the switch on the T valve?
Phil in Nashville
I think you are in a much better position if you get a kit from one of the T-Bird parts guys. Check out guys like Prestige, CASCO NPD, ETC. They know the cars and what works and what doesn't. Will take responsibility if they screw up.

I have a 1957. I converted to disc brakes in front and retain the original 14 inch wheels. I did need spacers to move the wheeels out slightly. I could have used later wheels designed for disc brakes and not used spacers. I retained original rear wheel cylinders. I use an adjustable valve for the rear wheels. I could have avoided that if I had installed 1955 rear wheel cylinders. I am happy with the conversion.
Could you tell me which kit your used that you were able to keep your 14" wheels please? I'm also wanting to keep my factory wheels. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack-in-sac
Could you tell me which kit your used that you were able to keep your 14" wheels please? I'm also wanting to keep my factory wheels. Thanks!
Hi, I'm in the same boat with our 57. Did you ever find a solution?
thanks

Hi, I'm in the same boat with our 57. Did you ever find a solution?
thanks
Hi, I bought the Casco disc brake kit new in box off of a fellow Tbird forum member. According to casco instructions it can be used with factory 14 wheels. I will be installing it in a couple weeks and can tell you how that works out with the 14" factory 57 wheels. Stay tuned

Hi, I bought the Casco disc brake kit new in box off of a fellow Tbird forum member. According to casco instructions it can be used with factory 14 wheels. I will be installing it in a couple weeks and can tell you how that works out with the 14" factory 57 wheels. Stay tuned
Great. Yes, I have the 14" spoke wheels and I don't want to change them out for some other 15 inchers.
Really appreciate your response.
Thanks

Success! I can confirm as of this morning that the Casco disc brake conversion kit will work with the factory 14" steel 57 Thunderbird wheels! I haven't finished running the brake lines yet ( I am replacing all steel lines with stainless). I hope this will help everybody out.

Attachments

• 20230923_081052.jpg
    20230923_081052.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230923_081103.jpg
    20230923_081103.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
In case anyone is interested in using the casco kit.... your spindles will have to have a small amount of grinding done in order for the Caliper spacer to fit. See photo, doesn't take much at all.

Just to give everyone interested in the Casco disc brake kit an update... it works great! My car is a 57 with the factory power brake booster which does help but even without the power brake booster the disc brakes are a huge improvement! I highly recommend anyone looking at going through the brakes on their car to upgrade with the casco kit. Mine has the dual chamber master cylinder, proportioning valve and the factory power brake booster ( which I also just rebuilt and have installed now)... all of this done while using the factory 14" wheels and hubcaps.

Just to give everyone interested in the Casco disc brake kit an update... it works great! My car is a 57 with the factory power brake booster which does help but even without the power brake booster the disc brakes are a huge improvement! I highly recommend anyone looking at going through the brakes on their car to upgrade with the casco kit. Mine has the dual chamber master cylinder, proportioning valve and the factory power brake booster ( which I also just rebuilt and have installed now)... all of this done while using the factory 14" wheels and hubcaps.
Glad to hear of a success story but I won't be going there. Stock is fine by me and just enjoy the old tech. with all its quirks.

Haha! Ward 57 and I, Ward57 must be long lost relatives... with a similar interest in the 57's ?.

Back