Different oil filter size between 02' & 03' | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Different oil filter size between 02' & 03'

• Thread starter Thread starter TennEngr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took my 03' T-Bird in for its first oil & filter change. I happened to be standing next to the service rep. when the technician said that there were no 03' T-Bird filters available. The tech had apparently tried to use an 02' T-Bird filter and found that it did not fit. It was then that he looked to see what the "deal" was. He said that the 03' filter was smaller! I got a free oil change that day and then another free oil change the following day with a new filter for my troubles.

Why would Ford change the size of the filters or is this bogus info by the dealer? 😕

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I heard this very thing some two months ago (my 03 hasn't been back to the dealer yet) from a very reliable source. Also heard that Ford is/will try very hard to void the warranty on our new birds (and other ford products?) if the letter of the maintenance law is not followed. I opted, in my mind, to take the car back to the dealer for service, at least during warranty time. A little more money, but they enter service into the computer and there will be no problem if a warranty item comes up later. These little high tech cars are worth being over cautious with since any or all maintenance would be very, very expensive if we had to pay for it ourselves (after the warranty, then what?).

You do not have to use Ford for service. The federal government has ruled that car companies can not void warranties for service items unless they offer it for free and you decline. For example, you may use non motorcraft parts (oil filters, oil, air filter, ect) since Ford will not give or replace them for free. Keep good records, a book with all dates and that is enough. Its great to have receipts, but not required by law.

There is nothing wrong with using your dealer and this creates a great relationship with them, but you should not worry about the warranty being voided, so long as, the service was performed by someone, including yourself.

As Paul H has said, you do not need to use Ford for service but..... Be sure to keep all of your receipts for service and have the person doing the service record the date and mileage and sign off in your scheduled maintenance book. Even if you change oil & filter yourself. Keep the Wal-Mart or whatever receipts showing you bought the oil & filter and then document in the scheduled maintenance book the same info, mileage & date with your own signature. I've seen manufactures turn down warranty because of sloppy or no documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back