Console removal question on an 02

C

cdf912

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am in the process of replacing my fuel pump on my 02 and have removed the curved bulkhead and pulled the carpet forward to reveal the pumps. Problem is, I would like to pull the carpet back even more but the small plastic piece of the center console is preventing me. (As you can see in one of the pics attached.) Anyone know how to pop this piece off without breaking it? I have slipped my fingers under the edges (ouch!) and cannot find where/how it is being held on. In the sideview, you can clearly see it is a separate piece. Anyone ever remove this?

Attachments

• pulling carpet back.JPG
    pulling carpet back.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 2
  • sideview.JPG
    sideview.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1
  • overhead view.JPG
    overhead view.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Maybe this will help, in case you haven't seen it.

Yes, I watched this video and am currently texting with the guy who made it. But he didnt remove that console piece either and worked in a cramped space between the rug and the frame.

Very informative video
Im thinking of making my own video, or at leasta posting describing how to do this for other TBird owners. It really isnt that difficult, just intimidating. If I cant remove the console piece, Ill just have to work around it.

The fuel pump removal video is the one i put on this site. There is no need to remove that part of the console. The hardest part is getting the jarlid tops off to get the fuel pump out. The main fuel pump is behind the passengers seat. Get the jarlid off with the rental tool from autozone. It took me 4 hours to do the job. I bought my fuel pump at oreillys autoparts with lifetime warranty for $109 bucks. Beat the ford dealer price of cost and labor of $2100 bucks. Rule #1 never store your tbird with a 1/4 tank of gas or less. Got that hard tip from my ford dealer. Tbird pumps are known to seize if stored with 1/4 tank or less. When taking jarlid caps off there is barely 1/4 inch of room. I was not happy but at least the job was done right. Good luck and keep me apprised....Phil

The fuel pump removal video is the one i put on this site. There is no need to remove that part of the console. The hardest part is getting the jarlid tops off to get the fuel pump out. The main fuel pump is behind the passengers seat. Get the jarlid off with the rental tool from autozone. It took me 4 hours to do the job. I bought my fuel pump at oreillys autoparts with lifetime warranty for $109 bucks. Beat the ford dealer price of cost and labor of $2100 bucks. Rule #1 never store your tbird with a 1/4 tank of gas or less. Got that hard tip from my ford dealer. Tbird pumps are known to seize if stored with 1/4 tank or less. When taking jarlid caps off there is barely 1/4 inch of room. I was not happy but at least the job was done right. Good luck and keep me apprised....Phil
Hi Phil, I know that part of the console doesnt have to come off but I hate creasing my carpet bu bending it out of the way. I thought it it was easy to take off I would. Also just like to know how pieces come off for my own sake. Also, I have a full tank of gas which I thought would help but apparently doesnt matter how much gas one has in the tank being that I am in this situation.

Hi Phil, I know that part of the console doesnt have to come off but I hate creasing my carpet bu bending it out of the way. I thought it it was easy to take off I would. Also just like to know how pieces come off for my own sake. Also, I have a full tank of gas which I thought would help but apparently doesnt matter how much gas one has in the tank being that I am in this situation.
How long has your car sat dormant? Mine sat 6 months. I have 30k on my car. Had it 4 years and only put 500 miles on it. I need to enjoy it more. You get that jarlid off yet? The engineers who designed it should be shot. I was not happy with minimal to zero room to work on it but as I said before I know it is fixed correctly. Lastly, when you try to take out pump there are 2 plastic clips if I recall holding it in.

How long has your car sat dormant? Mine sat 6 months. I have 30k on my car. Had it 4 years and only put 500 miles on it. I need to enjoy it more. You get that jarlid off yet? The engineers who designed it should be shot. I was not happy with minimal to zero room to work on it but as I said before I know it is fixed correctly. Lastly, when you try to take out pump there are 2 plastic clips if I recall holding it in.
My car only sat dormant for 1 month. I have a full tank of gas. What I think happened is that the battery drained too much to turn it over and as I tried several times, the pump just stopped. I charged my battery up and tried again but just wont turn over. Then I bought a new battery to see if maybe the battery just didn't have a enough oompf. But sadly no. I hear the relay clicking when I turn the key but I don't hear the pump whine that you should hear. If you read in the comments of that video from YouTube, one guy wrote that he opened up the bulkhead and tapped on the pump while his wife turned the key and he was able to get the pump to come to life. Im actually going to try that too. I recently added fuel stablilizer (which the bottle said was just isopropyl alcohol) in to see if it would help with any water that may have accumulated while it is still sitting. No I havent taken the pump nut off yet. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy working on an LS used a strap wrench like you use on an oil filter and he said it worked like a charm. My problem is time. I work full time so I don't have much time to devote to this except on weekends. I did order a new Ford OEM pump for $357 and I'm waiting on it to be delivered.

Back