Chrome Door Edge Guards??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jboriott

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
I just picked up my car Saturday. It's a Blue with Full Blue Accent. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! What a beautful cruiser! Delicious to drive!

When I was a the dealership, he recommended that I consider chrome door edge guards. He thought they would really set off the wheels, windshield frame, and other chrome. (I am installing the Chrome Hood Scoop Bezel.)

Anyway, I thought the Ede Guards would look out of place, but yesterday I saw an old (red) Caddy Convertible (66?) which had these, and it looked really nice!

Has anyone done this? Thoughts???

I'm thinking about a $30 experiment.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

WHY THE NEED FOR DOOR EDGE GUARDS?! WHO, OF US T'BIRD OWNERS, CASUALLY OPEN THE DOORS WITHOUT REGARD TO WHAT IS AROUND US? THIS IS NOT A TAURUS.

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

JB,

In my eyes, the lines of the car are so clean that the doorguards would detract. As was posted above, the Thunderbird owners are probably not the ones that need the guards-other drivers need them, and they need to be heavily padded to protect OUR cars!!

YUCK!!!! -- The Old Caddys had them as standard equipment and they worked on many old (50's & 60's) cars and even some 70's and 80's vehicles. But, on the T-bird they would be completely out of place and will definately spoil the lines of the car. Why mess with such beauty?

Fine - they will mess with the lines. It probably does look more appropriate on the Caddy.

But as far as the doors hitting other things... obviously none of you take your 3 or 5 year old in the car (with airbag de-activated).

My daughter almost clocked a rough concrete wall (about to be carpeted). You CAN't imagine the shreik of horror I let out!!! I don't think she ever heard me make that sound.

"learn'em some car manners"
biggrin.gif
That's the best answer to your delema
smile.gif

DAVID A:
SIMPLE ETIQUETTE AND RESPECT IS
LEARNED BEHAVIOR. YOU'RE 100% CORRECT. WHY CAN'T WE EXPECT KIDS TO LEARN AT AN EARLY AGE! AFTER ALL, IF ENOUGH PARENTS TEACH THIS, WE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE INCONSIDERATES WHO SLAM THEIR DOORS, SHOPPING CARTS, ETC. INTO OTHER VEHICLES.
THIS RESPECT SHOULD TRANSCEND MERE VEHICLES, BUT IS A GOOD PLACE TO START!

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

I knew my (child's) near miss with the car door would elicit some interesting (?) responses. Thanks for the advice. Curious that respect should "start with vechiles." (your words)

I DO L-O-V-E my car, and can't stand the thought of it even getting a handprint. Still - Firefighter's have a great saying - "never cry for something that can't cry for you."

Not sure when was the last time you spent (sustained) time around a 3 year old. You should try it - it's easy and a lot of fun!

No reply necessary. Thanks.

I agree...the beautiful horizontal lines would be ruined by the vertical chrome gaurds. I never liked them on any car...your attention would be drawn to it.

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula

I totally agree that the chrome door guards would ruin the lines of the car. As for car entry & exit etiquette, that is one of my pet peeves whether it be the T-Bird or any of my vehicles. I make sure that everyone knows that the outside door handle is there for two reasons. 1: To open the door, & 2: To close the door. It just tears me up to see someone use the door glass to close the door or put their darn greasy hand on the edge of the door leaving finger & palm prints. My kids learned at a very early age that if they wanted some broken fingers all they had to do was close the door not using the handle. I have taught them that on handles such as on the bird to put their fingers in the pocket up under the outer handle and push it shut leaving no prints on the car. Sorry for babbling, but like I said this is one of my pet peeves.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

With soft BlueMetallic, I put black guards on due to garage stuff right after I bought in 2004. They are barely notable

Put silver vinyl? protectors on my silver 04 doors (Harbor Frt $4) cause my garage is tight - driver door will strike my other car, pass door will strike wall. Hardly noticeable. Wiiide door - I have to be careful not to strike car next to me.

Put silver vinyl? protectors on my silver 04 doors (Harbor Frt $4) cause my garage is tight - driver door will strike my other car, pass door will strike wall. Hardly noticeable. Wiiide door - I have to be careful not to strike car next to me.
Do they have clear vinyl there?

Don't know about clear, Gus. I also bought red for the other car. check their online catalog. Cheers

JW, do you have the name of the product you bought at HF? Or a picture of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back